Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rubber Boots vs Regular

Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default Rubber Boots vs Regular

I am needing to get a new pair of hunting boots for bow season. I will be hunting the southcentral and southeastern parts of Kansas. A guy I'm going to be hunting with keeps telling me to get rubber boots. Traditional camo boots seem to be a little more inexpensive. Would I be ok with buying regular or are rubber boots the be all end all? Also the season here runs from Sept 20 to the end of Dec., should I be looking for insulated on non? Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Pro
Rubber has a tendency to help you to not leave yoru scent while walking.
Keeps your feet dry on those early morning dewy walks to the stand
Allows to navigate any terrain

Con
Rubber is a heat sinc and will help make your feet cold quicker - I would get insulated

JW
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I can only afford one pair of boots - Insulated rubber boots take care of all conditions.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

agreed. i think most people are gonna vote rubber. its the way to go. especially if your treestand hunting. much easier to keep scent free, extremely warm and dry. i wear Lacrosse alphaburly 1200s for the cold part of the season all the way through ice fishing. not a single complaint! no cold or wet feet.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Found out when I was young

Those boots might be pretty, but if they weren't insulated and had rubber on the bottom, they were useless in cold wet weather.

Warm weather archery
A plain pair of black uninsulated rubber boots from a major non-hunting retail store.
A pair of boots cut off from the remains of rubber fishing waders, that finally bit the dust. The shoe part seems to last forever.

The boots find double duty around the house, since they cost no where near $100.

Great for crossing small streams.

Cold Weather

Insulated rubber boots.

Backup - An old pair of sno paks that are felt inlined, with rubber bottoms and leather tops. Survived in -10 hunting weather. Toes still working many decades later.

Scouting.

I do use non insulated leather boots sometimes, especially when hiking long distances and scouting.

I spray down all the boots with homemade scent killer. Worth it since that cost is down to nothing.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Those boots might be pretty, but if they weren't insulated and had rubber on the bottom, they were useless in cold wet weather."

.....but since they ARE....................... they're great - huh ! :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Con
Rubber is a heat sinc and will help make your feet cold quicker - I would get insulated

i solved this problem by taking the insulators out of an old pair of pack boots. it really helped, just make sure you put them on your feet before you put your boots on
Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

If your hunting partner keeps telling you to get rubber boots, you better listen. I have 2 pairs I use here in IL. An uninsulated pair for early season, and a insulated pair for cold weather. I usually just use the arctic shield boot blankets when I gets really cold, my insulated one's are starting to fall apart.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Pro
Rubber has a tendency to help you to not leave yoru scent while walking.
Keeps your feet dry on those early morning dewy walks to the stand
Allows to navigate any terrain

Con

JW

I agree!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

rubber boots are even better with cow poo on them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.