Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Fixed Broadheads VS. Mechinical Broadheads >

Fixed Broadheads VS. Mechinical Broadheads

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Fixed Broadheads VS. Mechinical Broadheads

Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Spike

Default Fixed Broadheads VS. Mechinical Broadheads

Just wanting to know what you think Is better, also I have my bow sighted already, How off would Fixed broadheads be if I dont resite for them (Muzzy)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally use fixed blade broadheads. I have seen to many times where the mechanical broadheads would not open. I filmed a friend last year who shot a doe and his 3 blade rage never opened. Luckily we found her that night after searching all day.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Todays mechanical broadheads are much better then the ones that came years ago, I still think the fixed heads are better, but at times I do use the 2 blade Rage, and I like them
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

using mechinical you have to take broadside shot.only way i do anyhow. fixed if your shot is angle or hits bone, they work better.
todays FIXED blades are super nice and very sleek and small.

i would stay with FIXED........
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a general rule you need to use a bit more thought and caution when using mechanicals compaired to fixed blades. I do like mechanicals personaly, the advantages of less wind deflect and large cuting diameter out weight the possible so called disadvatages of being weaker and unreliable. Almost everyone i have heard complaints about most mechs either dont follow instructions or use common sense.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Pass thru makes some good points. Any broadhead can be great. Conversly, any broadhead can be terrible. You asked a question and you did not get an answer .... yet. Here goes. Any broadhead should shoot straight if your bow and arrows are tuned and matched to each other.[provided there is nothing wrong with the head itself] There are to many questions you are going to have from that statement for me to answer on here. I don't like to type very much. lol Find a good bow shop and start asking questions. You can't learn if you don't ask. Just remember that if you are set up right , you can shoot any broadhead. [ as long as it isn't defective ] . I have shot both fixed and mechs . I think they both have good points and bad points. Mechs, you need to pay attention to the moving parts. Make sure they are clean and move easily. Fixed , you need to pay extra attention to how well they spin . This will effect the flight. If they are just a little off, they will change your arrow flight. Spin check each and every head. you should also shoot them at least once to make sure they fly well.I said I didn't like to type and then I write a novel. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reasons for or against mechanicals

There is nothing like having one hunting bow, practice with field points, then a week or so before the season, go to your mechanical blades and hit the same point on the target. The pros can talk about bow tuning until they're blue in the face, and mechanicals will find their place in the hunting field for many hunters.

There will always be the archer who finds the mechanical a little too complicated. In most cases, the archer expected the operation to be entirely automatic, without taking the time to check that each mechanical will open when it hits the deer.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed dozens of deer with each and see absolutely no benefit to a mechanical what so ever.First of all,by design,they're weak.They only connect to the ferrule in one place and usually with a small screw or pin.That compromises durability.With the exception of a couple design,the impede penetration.Yeas they fly like field points most of the time but any responsible bowhunter should use a well balanced and tuned bow so arrow flight should not even be an issue.Screwing on a mechanical to mask tuning problems is a recipe for disaster anyway.Using a wide cut mechanical will not kill any more deer or kill them any faster.Shot placement is the key.The last 30 deer I've killed were with a fixed blade head and only one ran out of sight.Way too mmnay people fall for the marketing hype.You don't need to throw an axe through an animal.