Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for tips on some good gear >

Looking for tips on some good gear

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for tips on some good gear

Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Looking for tips on some good gear

So Im just getting into hunting and have no gear at all. Bought some cheap gear last year just so I could go out but now I'm looking to get some gear. I would like some tips on clothing first and foremost. Was looking into some scent block and also field and stream no scent. Also boots as well. Gear is so expensive I don't want to waste a bunch of cash. I live in northern Indiana it gets anywhere from 5-30 degrees where Im at. I will be doing most of my hunting from the ground this year.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Get a good stand, tree top viewing is a lot better....but! Clothing is the thing that will and can break the bank. I would not worry as much on the outside as the in. Get the best underlayment, in expedition weight, you might not need that much, but on a cold morning you will love it. It doesn't have much weight (lbs) to it, and it fits tight against the skin. At 30 degrees I put that on a set of insulated bibs and shirt and I am comforable. If the weather in southern Mi. gets colded I add another layer of cloths, very seldom do I need a coat, and while I bowhunt only we have a second season that gets into the single digit.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

good place to start.....................

http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jses...equestid=29462
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

boots, wool pants, and good undergear. NO COTTON if you are in a cold climate. But again, can't stress enuf the need for good boots.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Spike

Get some good odor killer, we use BioExtreme it works in the washer the shower and all the way to the field all from the same bottle. www.bioextreme.net
Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another good place to look is bassproshops.com.

Sorel boots are IMO, some of the best around, as are LaCrosse. Good boots can save a day of hunting. Wool pants as an outer layer, a good base layer of underarmor, or similar. While scentlok is good, its more expensive than just playing the wind of the day and can be worked into the gear later on.