Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Scent...or no scent...or cover scent...????Poll >

Scent...or no scent...or cover scent...????Poll

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.
View Poll Results: What Brands do you use? and why?
Scent Away-Hunter specialties
47.22%
Scent Killer-Wildlife Research
25.00%
Primo's Silver
8.33%
Dead Down Wind
8.33%
Acorn Cover Scent
0%
Fresh Earth Cover Scent
33.33%
Fresh Pine Cover Scent
2.78%
Apple Cover Scent
2.78%
Cover Scent of any kind, what kind and why?
11.11%
Scent Ellimination/Killer, what kind and why?
2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Scent...or no scent...or cover scent...????Poll

Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Scent...or no scent...or cover scent...????Poll

Well for years now i have been using "Fresh Earth" scent wafers, as well as "Fresh Earth" scent cover scent. Most of the time I feel ok about it. Other times I have seen the deer stop in their tracts when downwind of me. Other times I have had them directly underneath me and downwind of me and nothing... So with that said, What do you prefer to use? Cover scent? Scent eliminator? Or ...?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

man i got the scentlock series, not the boots but next year i will....all the money we spend on scent killers will pay fer it in the long run..and fer now i jus use the boot spray from scent lock, not on the poll btw, i hunt from the ground and have had deer 7 feet from me downwind and jus stroll on by..is a great feelin! i did buy 1 piece at a time i.e the suit, then the hat, then the gloves, and every time had more success..i do shower with the green scent free wash and use the clear deodorant, as to not smoke anything or be around anyone else at that lol..this has been total success for me, as i used to do it the other way...i .e .bakin soda and put clothes in leaves and pine needles and dirt and go out dirty all the time....now i can go clean and not have ta shower because there is sand in my britches lol
Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use nothing but the wind on my nose now. I use to use cover scents, etc but honestly never saw a difference in the game I'd see or success. I hunt exclusively on the ground.

In terms of scentlock if you think it makes a difference then that all that matters. I on the other hand think it is a waste of money.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Scent Away body wash, Ceder oil on a rag put in the dryer with my clothes, and raccoon urine sprayed on bottom of my boots.
This works for me,been doing this for over last 10 years and had nothing but success.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Scent Killer and play the wind.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by #1Predator
Scent Away body wash, Ceder oil on a rag put in the dryer with my clothes, and raccoon urine sprayed on bottom of my boots.
This works for me,been doing this for over last 10 years and had nothing but success.

thanx, ya got me divorced...i put racoon **** on a rag and put it in the dryer and the cedar tree starpped to my boot broke the ol ladies leg...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

scent away,, all the washes and sprays to kill scent.. works awesome..

some homemade stuff aswell for broad scent elimination (tote, boots, truck etc etc)

i think the two best things i have and do,, Scent Blocker clothes,, (best money ever spent)
and keeping it in the back of my head that i cant OVER scent eliminate.. i am VERY liberal with all my scent control

i do use some fresh earth cover spray right when i get in the stand but i am very conservative with it as its concentrate and dont want to over do it ..

ever since ive been very disciplined with scent control i have seen WAY more deer and WAY up close then i have in the past!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year I'm using a new product 2in one scent killer and insect repellent so far it's worked great but I've only been out a few times.I think my wife bought it from Bass Pro.I haven't had any bugs "bug"me and the deer haven't winded me.In Florida no bugs is a BIG deal.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cover scents and ALL scents must be used as part of a system. I'm often surprised by the number of hunters I talk to that honestly believe there are magic potions available that suddenly make them invisible or deer less alert ??? Not possible!

That being said, I do everything I can to remove and eliminate all odors on my hunting clothing and on my gear. Clothing is all stored in scent free bags and they are removed and put on well away from the vehicle so as not to contaminate them. Then I spray everything down with a scent killer type spray and then I may apply a small amount of coon urine to my boots. Once at my stand sites I may use some James Valley Scents Gels, such as Lethal Weapon and Wall Hanger to attract any wandering animals. This system proves to be fairly effective on a consistent basis. Good luck
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

The reason for the post is this... Over the years I have used the fresh earth scent but just recently I have been beating myself up by my own wondering mind. The best way to go into the deer woods is scent free... Is'nt Fresh Earth a scent??? A cover scent at that... so with that said for the rest of the year I'm going completely odorless with scent killer "oderless" spray. It will probably take some washing to get rid of the earth scent buried in my clothes over the years but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks to everyone who participated in this poll. Your opinions and knowledge is valuable to me as well as thoughs who may read or partake in this poll. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.