Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS for hunting

Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default GPS for hunting

Hey guys, looking for a good reliable GPS for hunting in the 150.00 range. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

In that price range by all means stick with a Garmin.. Which ever one fits your budget..
Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $150 your not going to get a very feature rich gps. Garmin Etrex series will serve you well.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went with the Garmin Etrex for under $100 and it works great. All I use it for is to plot the location of my truck and then mark waypoints along the way. So even if I'm hunting/hiking in an unfamiliar area, I can always find my way back to my truck.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 AM
bwl
Spike

Check Academy and you will often find discontinued models on clearance. I bought a Magellan Explorist 500 for $99 a couple years ago and I love it. It has a color screen and lots of features. It works worlds better than my Garmin E-trex that came with a Burris scope package. I can carry the Magellan in my belt case all day and never lose a signal. My E-trex wont keep a signal if I hold it out in the open. I hunt in pretty thick cover, and it just can't seem to reach through the tree canopy. Very frustrating. If you hunt in more open terrain, I'm sure it would work fine. I was at academy yesterday and they had a nice Magellan on clearance for $150.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

I heard good and bad the etrex. I will take a look at what Academy has to offer, thanks for the replys.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Spike

I have an Etrex and I do like it. Although the first time out I was unprepared when the overhead canopy....during early season, blocked the signal.