Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
how do you become comfortable? >

how do you become comfortable?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

how do you become comfortable?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started using climbers about twenty years ago and it was hard for me get use to. I didn't want to get very high, not because I was scared of heights (I use to teach rappelling), but because I didn't trust the equipment. The only way to get that trust, IMO, is to buy the best equipment you can, practice with it, and put safety first. If you do all of that, you will enjoy using a climber.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

For climbing up or down in the dark, get a hat with LEDs in the brim or a light that clips onto your hat brim. It will always put light where you are looking hands free. I will climb in the dark if I don't want to spook any nearby deer, but sometimes you just need the light to be safe.

I was in a tall tree last year and some heavy fog came in at sunset. It was really spooky coming down. Even with the light, all I could see was the tree trunk and fog. I had no idea how high up I was at any point of the descent. I knew I was at the bottom when a weed flicked my ear. The hat light was a big help making sure I had good bites in the tree.