Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting knives

Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting knives

Just seeing what everyones thoughts are as far as best overall hunting knife, i personally prefer anything buck, my first knife was a 110 folding hunter, and that thing is still sharp today. some people swear by gerber and browning, what are everyones thoughts?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Spike

I am a fan of a sharp one. I don't really know if names matter so much. I have an old timer, and I also have a Buck 119 I got last year for Christmas, haven't had the chance to use it, but for an affordable knife it has a lot of supporters. I bought my dad one a couple years ago for Christmas that has dressed a lot of whitetails, and I don't have any that hold an edge like it. It was a 120 dollar knife, but you get what you pay for, Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Series Alpha Fixed Knife is the name of it.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

lmao a sharp one ...... funny thing is my brother in law cant keep a knife sharp let alone keep a knife. Loaned him my knife so many times i now carry 2 knives ... a sharp one for me and a really dull knife i loan him....
Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

My fave is a Schrade Oldtimer that I've had for about 15 years. I had a real nice Browning for awhile, but had to sell it when I got stranded out of town once.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use several, my favorites are a Buck Duke which is a folding 3 inch drop point...A Scherade made in USA Pro Hunter which is a
3 1/2 inch sheath knife and a Bear (made in AL) which is a dead ringer for a Scherade Sharp Finger...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Cheap durable knives. good to ragweedforge.com and look a the Swedish Mora's. Great cheap knife

middle of the road i use a buck fixed blade knife. There are so many in this catagory. Schrade sharpfinger, or a boker.

higher end, AG Russel makes some nice knives but i found a Knifes of Alaska S30v steel knife that i will try this year. I know this isn't what people consider higher end, but at $100 i think you can get a good knife. Just don't see the need to buy a $300 for dressing a deer. i see those as collectors.

Most of my knives are 4" blades or less with a 3.25 or 3.5" blade being my favorite. They must have a backbone to them. I don't care for thin blades that bend or give.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fair collection of knives, and I usually take the Gerber gators with me. They are compact, and easy to work with. I have large handmades, and find that they are too large for most tasks. If bone is in the equation, then a saw is all that is needed to complete the task. Stay away from serrated blades, as they catch on the hide, and result in cut fingers.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had a CutCo since 1970........and still using it.......Before the CutCo I used a folding lock blade K-BAR for years........
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Spike

I really can recomend the WM1 from fallkniven, I like the shorter knifes for better handling and feeling.
http://www.fallkniven.se/
Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Spike

My favorites are Gerbers and Buck knifes. Bass Pro makes some pretty good knifes as well. So do Winchester.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.