Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ladder Stand or Climber?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default Ladder Stand or Climber?

I just want to see what some of you think. I have a private woods that i hunt and want to put some stands up. I have found some good low price ladder stands. I also have been reading about climbers they seem real nice but you have to find the perfect tree and are expensive. i can get 3 ladder stands for the price of a climber. What would be the best option?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ladderstands by far. If its your property then put up several and you will not make any noise or get sweaty getting into the tree. I hunt ladders a lot and have killed a lot of big bucks from them. They are 15ft, 50 dollar stands. I love them. I only use a climber if I have to...I hate them. Ive tried several of them and I now have a Lone wolf...I hate it too.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i say a climber. i can tell you this, if you can get 3 ladders for the price of a Summit climber...your not gonna be happy with them. those cheap ladder stands are so uncomfortable that you won't sit more than a couple hourse in them at a time. they do make some good ladder stands but then your spending the same amount of money as you would on a quality climber.

as far as climbers go, they are a heck of alot easier to set up and move around (mobility is a huge benefit). the tree's you climb don't have to be "perfect", just reasonably straight. i climb tree's with knots and saw off limbs with my pocket saw to get higher if i want.

some prefer lock on stands but in my opinion they are a bigger p.i.t.a. than ladder stands.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I mostly use a climber. Ladder stands are easier to get into, quicker and all... but you lose your mobility. I can switch location half way through the day with my climber and go anywhere, not just where I havbe a ladder set up. I do use both, but if I had to have just one stand, I'd stick with my climber.
-Jake
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only use ladderstands, tried them all and now we replace all of our other stands with ladders.

Don't skimp on paying for a quality ladder, a deal on a junk stand is no deal, least when you hunt all day, once up, once down.

Personally I want a big platform that extends under the seat, which the seat flips up, arm rests, shooting rail, 15' or more to the platform base, and you've got a quality ladderstand.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with kybuck on this, minus hating climbers and with a little more to add. If it's your own private land, find the main trails the deer use every year and put ladder stands about 10 to 15 yards off these trails downwind. Leave em up forever, they'll pay off. But I would also recommend having a climbing stand to set up on rublines or scrapelines when they pop up. Ladder stands set up on trails between bedding areas and food sources are excellent during early bow season, but you'll want a climber to set up when you find scrapes and what not later in the season.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I use both, I have ladder stands on the regular runways at my favorite spot, but if there is no action, I can throw the climber on my back and go to plan b or c.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Spike

Ladders all the way, and 2 man at that. That way grandkids can go with you. You can sit, talk, eat a snack, and they too will learn to enjoy the outdoors and hunting. It warms your heart when they call and ask; Pop, when are we going deer hunting?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where do you live and what type trees do you have to climb???

In some areas of the country, it's hard to use a climber because of the trees...Here in NC there are plenty of pines, poplars and oaks that are nice and straight and can be easily climbed...

I prefer a climber...It's more comfortable and more mobile...
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for there input. I live in IN so i have a good assortment of trees. Ill probably put some ladder stands up and get a climber as well for a back up plan incase the ladders are dead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.