Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ladder Stand or Climber?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like both, but if I had to go with one, it would be the climber based on its versatility and comfort. convenience doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue to me...may take a couple more minutes to get up in a climber, but nothing major at all. I, too, have had to saw off a few small limbs, but have never had an issue with finding a usable tree in any area that I wanted to hunt.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use both, each has there place when hunting.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Even a cheap ladder stand can be made more comfortable with the simple addition of padding, and if you're hunting your own land and know the best spots a climber won't add anything but noise.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

With it being private land, I would go with the ladder stands. I rarely hunt out of my climber anymore, only my ladder stands. It is alot easier to sneak into a ladder stand quickly and quietly too without spooking game.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Ladderstand,
I have a xtra wide Big game and love it. Very comfy and quiet. Shot some big bucks out of it.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
I'm with kybuck on this, minus hating climbers and with a little more to add. If it's your own private land, find the main trails the deer use every year and put ladder stands about 10 to 15 yards off these trails downwind. Leave em up forever, they'll pay off. But I would also recommend having a climbing stand to set up on rublines or scrapelines when they pop up. Ladder stands set up on trails between bedding areas and food sources are excellent during early bow season, but you'll want a climber to set up when you find scrapes and what not later in the season.
I agree with SouthernStrut56.I like my ladder stands but still keep my climber for mobility.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Climber or Ladder

Is this a trick question?.... climber of course. Good luck setting up that ladder stand spur of the moment, or wanting to move to a new location, or moving it after season starts. Not only that but if you don't put it up with time for deer to get used to it being there the big bucks will steer clear, not so with a climber that goes up with nothing for them to see.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
I'm with kybuck on this, minus hating climbers and with a little more to add. If it's your own private land, find the main trails the deer use every year and put ladder stands about 10 to 15 yards off these trails downwind. Leave em up forever, they'll pay off. But I would also recommend having a climbing stand to set up on rublines or scrapelines when they pop up. Ladder stands set up on trails between bedding areas and food sources are excellent during early bow season, but you'll want a climber to set up when you find scrapes and what not later in the season.
1+! coud not have said it better....karl
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have ladder stands and ithink they work great for a quick hunt because they are already set up just climb in and hunt. but I also have a climber dont rule these out either i have a rivers edge its a little on the heavy side but if your not going far its not bad .
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Climber. I like the mobility without having to buy several ladder stands for different places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.