Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which feeder

Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 PM

Default Which feeder

I' m looking into buying a deer feeder and wasn' t sure what would be the best. I was looking at the Moultrie 55 gal magnum, but I think I might have better luck with the 30 gal. Any input??

Old 05-14-2003, 08:34 AM

Default RE: Which feeder

I really like the Moultrie feeders- the 55 gallon is great because you don' t have to fill it but about once every 6-8 weeks depending of course on how much corn you have shootin' out. I really like the programmable type not just the dawn and dusk type. During early season we usually have it spittin out 4-5 times a day. I had a little trouble with one of the timers and Moultrie replaced the whole thing(except the barrel) for free. I was extremely pleased with their CS.
I also have a Kenco tornado feeder and have had nothing but trouble with it. I had the circuit board replaced because of a recall-which was ok but the holes in the feeder are too small. If it rains water gets in them and will clog them up and the spinners that shoot the corn out are made of soft rubber and wear out...sometimes before one season is over.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:51 PM

I use the Kenco Smarttimer II. I have had very good luck with them. They are indestructable! Solid aluminum housing and stainless spinner. Here is a pic.
I had to put it on 8' legs as the deer here are so tall LOL Really it throws the feed farther and the bucks come under the barrel better than when they are low.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you are wanting a automatic feeder? We are in the process of buying some of the Stump Feeders. www.stumpfeeder.com They hold 55 pounds of feed and are gravity fed. Some of my friends have bought the small mechnical feeders and had allot of problems with the timers.These stump feeders are fool proof unless someone wants it worse then we do.They appear to blend in with the surroundings well..I just thought I would mention these.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Spike

I have to put my vote in for ON-TIME FEEDERS. I have 6 of them & have friends
that have several. THe have a lifetime guarentee & when anything has gone wrong
(twice in 8 years) I have sent them the motor & they have sent it right back, good as new.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:25 PM

Tomahog, Which feeder would u recomend for the price from On-Time?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I will have to put my vote in for the on time elite feeder. i have had 2 for a year now and they are very easily programable for upto 3 feed times. you can adjust the motor speed and length of feed time. the recomended distance from the funnel to the spinner in my opinion is not enough to get good corn throw out. i generally set them at about 3/4 of an inch. these feeders are lifetime waranteed. my friends both have these and we have had great success. have a ton of pictures from my photo scout game cam, by the way is probably the most dependent and also easy to use with absolutely no false pictures to use. the ontime feeder uses 8 AA batteries which last in the cold arkansas weather about 3 months. you can extend the life but upgrading to a C battery pack (holds 8 C' s) which will feed for about 5 months without changing. bear in mind that i feed generally at 7am for 100% power for 8 seconds (disperses about 3.5lbs corn) and at 5 pm for the same time, power and duration, for a total of 7lbs of corn a day. the ontime elite can be found on the net for very reasonable prices. the complete tripod system i paid about 149.00 for. it comes with a 33 gal barrel which will hold about 225lbs of corn. if i had to do it again. i would buy just the feeder and mount it on a 55gal drum which will hold about 300-315lbs of corn depending on size funnel inside. also one negative comment on 33gal drum kit is that it doesn' t include a funnel. i personally have a 600lb capacity feeder that i fill up about every 3 months. this makes the 2 hour trip to my cabin less often, however now i have found out that i have a bear problem. the bear raped the feeder off the bottom of the 600lb barrel and ate most of the corn. good thing was that i was able to straighten the funnel plate out and mount it back on my barrel. overall, rate the ontime elite A+. one negative thing about moultrie is that they use the big 6v batteries. i have bought 2 of them in the past and had a home charger that i would keep one on charge at home at all times. i tried the solar panel charger but the squirrels at up the wire going down the side of the barrel to my box. if you go that route use some metal conduit to protect your wire. also, get you a good varmit cage. the coons will rape your feeder. also, the deer will learn how to spin the spinner with their tongue and get more corn that you intended. i know this, b/c in february of this year, had my feeder out with 600lbs corn on it and within 3 weeks was all gone. put photo scout out and got pictures of deer standing up with their noses on the spinner plate and corn falling to the ground. man, sure got long winded. sorry. hope this helps. i am trying to find a way to use a feeder in bear country now.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 PM

I' ve been using the game country motors for several years. i use the day II' s .
I have built and sold a bunch of them and have never had anyone complain.

I have only used the cheap moultrie motors and i guess it' s ok cause it' s still working. i don' t have it out right now .

I have heard kencos are good except for the straight shooters.

Now the game countrys do take a little time to get used to in the programming area. but they are alot cheaper than others.
I just don' t like to put alot of money alone in the woods.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:22 AM

Has anyone used or seen the Cabelas feeder?
$29.99 for the feeder, you just have to build a tripod
for it and get your own container.

Quick Reply: Which feeder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.