HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which feeder
Thread: Which feeder
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 07:14 PM
arkansasbowhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which feeder

I will have to put my vote in for the on time elite feeder. i have had 2 for a year now and they are very easily programable for upto 3 feed times. you can adjust the motor speed and length of feed time. the recomended distance from the funnel to the spinner in my opinion is not enough to get good corn throw out. i generally set them at about 3/4 of an inch. these feeders are lifetime waranteed. my friends both have these and we have had great success. have a ton of pictures from my photo scout game cam, by the way is probably the most dependent and also easy to use with absolutely no false pictures to use. the ontime feeder uses 8 AA batteries which last in the cold arkansas weather about 3 months. you can extend the life but upgrading to a C battery pack (holds 8 C' s) which will feed for about 5 months without changing. bear in mind that i feed generally at 7am for 100% power for 8 seconds (disperses about 3.5lbs corn) and at 5 pm for the same time, power and duration, for a total of 7lbs of corn a day. the ontime elite can be found on the net for very reasonable prices. the complete tripod system i paid about 149.00 for. it comes with a 33 gal barrel which will hold about 225lbs of corn. if i had to do it again. i would buy just the feeder and mount it on a 55gal drum which will hold about 300-315lbs of corn depending on size funnel inside. also one negative comment on 33gal drum kit is that it doesn' t include a funnel. i personally have a 600lb capacity feeder that i fill up about every 3 months. this makes the 2 hour trip to my cabin less often, however now i have found out that i have a bear problem. the bear raped the feeder off the bottom of the 600lb barrel and ate most of the corn. good thing was that i was able to straighten the funnel plate out and mount it back on my barrel. overall, rate the ontime elite A+. one negative thing about moultrie is that they use the big 6v batteries. i have bought 2 of them in the past and had a home charger that i would keep one on charge at home at all times. i tried the solar panel charger but the squirrels at up the wire going down the side of the barrel to my box. if you go that route use some metal conduit to protect your wire. also, get you a good varmit cage. the coons will rape your feeder. also, the deer will learn how to spin the spinner with their tongue and get more corn that you intended. i know this, b/c in february of this year, had my feeder out with 600lbs corn on it and within 3 weeks was all gone. put photo scout out and got pictures of deer standing up with their noses on the spinner plate and corn falling to the ground. man, sure got long winded. sorry. hope this helps. i am trying to find a way to use a feeder in bear country now.