Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Need help with range finders!! >

Need help with range finders!!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need help with range finders!!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Spike

Default Need help with range finders!!

Does it really matter if the range finder is a bushnell Chuck Adams edition where it compensates for angle positions. If it does what brand is recommended Bushnell Chuck, Nikon Archers choice, or Leupold w/ TBR??? Thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Depends on your land, steep mountains and hills maybe worth a try. For most of us, just another gimmisk to spend more money on
Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Location: From WA, lived in NC, MO, KS, NY, GA, and retired in the "Show Me"

I know I wanna get one that compensates....no it isnt a must but, now days if I buy one new; I might as well get it.........

Here is my question-

Between theses angle compensating models:
-Bushnell Chuck Adam's
-Bushnell Scout Pro 1000 w/ ARC
-Nikon Rifleman 550 with ID tech

Will all three of these models shoot thru screen netting on a blind?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Spike

Well from a treestand fifteen feet up does it matter if you have one w/ angle comp???
Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Spike

I looked at the Nikon archers choice vs. the bushnell with arc. I found that the endorsments don't make the product any better. The Archers choice is limited to 100yrds of range and doesn't provide the angle in the display, it's best price tag is $215. The Bushnell Chuck Adams gives the angle in the sight picture and ranges out to 800yrds on a reflective target and 200 yrds on a deer with a price tag of $250. Before I shopped them I would have gone with the Nikon based on reputation but I am sold on the Bushnell with ARC.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mdewitt71
I know I wanna get one that compensates....no it isnt a must but, now days if I buy one new; I might as well get it.........

Here is my question-

Between theses angle compensating models:
-Bushnell Chuck Adam's
-Bushnell Scout Pro 1000 w/ ARC
-Nikon Rifleman 550 with ID tech

Will all three of these models shoot thru screen netting on a blind?
NO - needs clear line of sight.

JW
Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a Nikon Prostaff 440 and YES it will range through netting. I would recommend checking it through your particular netting (it may give you an inaccurate reading) but I have had good luck with mine. Yes the AC one is limited to about a 100 yds, it is intended for bowhunters. If you want a Nikon with ID tech. that has longer range go with the RifleHunter 550 does all the same as the AC with a longer range.

As to needing it out of a treestand it depends on how you practice and the capabilities of you bow. If you practice from and elevated stand and have your bow sighted to your rangefinder no it's not necessary. However, if you practice on the ground and then move to an elevated position there is a chance that your point of impact may change (this is where your bow performance comes in) if you are shooting @ 40 yds with a bow that shoots 300+ FPS your point of impact change will be much less than if you are shooting a bow @ 250 FPS because of a flatter arrow trajectory.

As to the Nikon not displaying the angle, I prefer it that way. Less clutter to look at while ranging. I just want an accurate range and that's it, I don't really care what the angle is. Not starting anything, just wondering if there is a reason you want to see the angle?

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Love my Nikon Archers Choice. I am with ACPOSSETIM I just want to know what pin to use, don't care if it's 60, 40 or any other degree of angle you can think of.