Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

whitetail decoy

Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default whitetail decoy

i am thinking about buying a decoy and cant decide on which one i should go with. right now i am looking at either the carry-lite or the primos scarface decoy. i am wondering about noise, set up and mobility. thanks for the feed back
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs up

The 3-Ds are nice, but can be clunky and noisy to handle. Last year I used 2-D dekes similar to the Renzos line, and shot the biggest doe I've ever seen as she approached to check them out. The dekes in question were two young does, and nothing but printed cardboard with a cloth tail I made attached to their rumps. I have no doubt that they would've fooled a buck just as easily, and they're much lighter and easier to set up quietly than plastic dekes. They're also considerably less expensive.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usd the Renzo doe w/ a wash cloth tail soaed in doe urine. Worked like a chrm, had a buck come 300 yards across a field to check it out. Be careful though you can overuse these decoys and make the deer skittish about cxoming in. Also situate your stand so the deer has to vcome by you to check out the decoy, they seem to hang up about 20 yards from te decoy.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down decoy usage

Every time (several) I employed a decoy the deer weren't happy. They would come in snorting and stomping...especially the old, smart does. Then they would haul butt out of there. I gave up on them in my primary hunting area.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Every time (several) I employed a decoy the deer weren't happy. They would come in snorting and stomping...especially the old, smart does. Then they would haul butt out of there. I gave up on them in my primary hunting area.
If it was a doe deke then her reaction is understandable, does are territorial and will try to run visiting does from their range. The big doe I shot tried to punk my dekes with snorts and stomps at first, then when the dekes didn't react to her she circled in to check them out. Last mistake she ever made. A buck faced with what looks like a sub dominant buck will try to fight or scare the deke away, but if the deke has bigger antlers than he does it will more likely hang up or leave. The reason I chose two young does, one feeding and the other alert, was to hedge my bet. A buck would approach with interest, a doe with aggression.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Spike

Default Tried it last year

I used the one I use for target practice last year.The legs and head fit inside the body,so it does not take up much room.You can make it a 6 point buck or a doe.
Your right about trying to set it up so the deer have to walk by you before they enter the field.They check it out really well before they dare come closer.I put a rwal tail on the deer and used fishing line to move it every now and then.
I had it set up as a doe last year and harvested a nice doe.This year I'm going to put the rack on and grunt and bang some antlers together.
ONLY USE IT DURING ARCHERY SEASON.