Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

wind detection device

Old 05-03-2009, 05:36 AM

Default wind detection device

Hoping to get some input/feedback on something way out there.[/align]As avid big game hunters in the west (Colorado) and numerous other states and provinces, we always struggled with effective means of determining wind drifts and thermals when there didn't seem to be any wind at all. We used various devices for years to determine wind direction but found nothing fit the bill. Puffers, lighters, thread, and other means of identifying wind drifts and thermals didn't work in the dark or were so small we were constantly losing them. Some of them weren't even visible during daylight, depending on the conditions.[/align][/align]So we set out to develop a science based approach to building a gadget that would work in the dark and daylight, was super accurate in identifying wind direction even during periods of low/no wind.

We don't have any illusions that every hunter will require the use of a "gadget" like this every day and you may even find this idea "way out there" but I'm curious what you guys think. This product is not for sale (although we have field test prototype units of course) so this is a solicitation; just want some feedback.[/align][/align]We put up a couple of cheesy home videos on YouTube. Take a look at these and let me know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPan3GW1-WE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHSdSrhORT8[/align]
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: wind detection device

Definitely a great idea I think, I did watch both videos I'm just wondering if the devices have to be perfectly level to give an accurate reading or will they work regardless of how they are held?
Will these be available anytime soon?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Default RE: wind detection device

If you hold the units reasonably still andsomewhat level (just a common sense hold) they performvery well. They're great during early morning and late evening of course when winds tend to be very light or non existant, combined with near darkness.

We expect to go to production in the next 60-90 days.

thanks for your input.