Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety device

Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default safety device

I was wondering do you guys use a safety device. I use the strap that goes under the arms. I have heard that isnt very safe. I have used the full body what pain walking to the woods plus takes some time to put on.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: safety device

I just use the old strap and belt system used years ago. I know it isn't the best but it is better than not using anything. I once read that 1 in 4 tree stand hunters will fall sometime in their lives. I am careful and don't use trees that are bad or chancy.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always use a full body harness. Some may say its a pain, well better that than the pain of a fall. I also have a wife and daughter, both of whom I love enough to want to be there for them. Why take the chance? I have a spare harness if anyone needs it. I want you to be safe and I don't want to read any hunter obits. If you need a harness PM me. Please don't ask for it so you can sell it or if you have one already. This offer is for someone that needs it and will use it.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 AM

I got A "Hunter Safety System" vast and it is very easy to use. I hunt in the south somedays it get's in the upper 90's in bowseason. and the vast is not too hot for me

(www.deerhuntinggear.net)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:51 PM

I use the vest system as well. I have taken a fall (18ft) without a harness, and it isn't fun. Took almost 3 months to fully recover from it, and it ended my season very early.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I've used a full harness thelast 3 seasons and before that the good 'ole waist belt. With practice the full harness isn't that bad. I labeled each buckle and strap so it is a no brainer which way it goes on. I got an HSS vest last month and look forward to using it this season. Definitely seems like it is worth the $100!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, I stay on the ground
Old 06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I WANT YOU GUYS TO TRY THIS

Take your safety belt and put it around your waist as you would wear it while hunting.

Now find a tree in your yard. Stand beside it and strap the other end as high around the trunk of the tree as you can.

Now, gradually bend your knees and allow your full weight to hang from the belt.

If this doesn't convince you to buy a fullbody harness, nothing will.

IT HURTS!

Now just imagine falling and coming to the end of that belt with a sudden stop.

I've read an article in a hunting magazine a while back ( can't remember which one) that guys have been seriously hurt or killedby belts. Hanging upside down, broken ribs, punctured lungs, torn diaphram, air knocked out of them and sufficated, etc...

Even OSHA does not approve of a saftey belt anymore. They require a full body harness because of the issues I stated above.

Try hanging from your belt in the yard.I used a belt for years until a fellow hunter told me to try this. I ordered a full harness that day.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I WANT YOU GUYS TO TRY THIS

Take your safety belt and put it around your waist as you would wear it while hunting.

Now find a tree in your yard. Stand beside it and strap the other end as high around the trunk of the tree as you can.

Now, gradually bend your knees and allow your full weight to hang from the belt.

If this doesn't convince you to buy a fullbody harness, nothing will.

IT HURTS!

Now just imagine falling and coming to the end of that belt with a sudden stop.

I've read an article in a hunting magazine a while back ( can't remember which one) that guys have been seriously hurt or killedby belts. Hanging upside down, broken ribs, punctured lungs, torn diaphram, air knocked out of them and sufficated, etc...

Even OSHA does not approve of a saftey belt anymore. They require a full body harness because of the issues I stated above.

Try hanging from your belt in the yard.I used a belt for years until a fellow hunter told me to try this. I ordered a full harness that day.
I learned that years ago. Thanks for posting it!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I can see if you did fall probably be easier on your body. Trying to put that thing on in the dark. Half the time I cant figure out how to put it on.

Quick Reply: safety device

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.