Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Knife

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Hunting Knife

I have read many great reviews on this Cold Steel Trail Master and I'm thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone have experience with one of these?
http://www.coldsteel.com/trmashica.html

Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Knife

1 word, Buck
Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The quality of Cold Steel's blade steel dropped when Camillus went out of business. They supplied CS's blades. The current versions are reportedly made in China. The SK5 steelis tough to withstand chopping, and has decent edge-holding properties, but you can do better. The trail master is a big knifewith a thick blade,maybe not the best design for strictly a hunting knife. The Master Hunter model would probably be a better choice.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have knives worth over $200. My favorite all-around knife is the Buck Omni 12 pt. Costs $40.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't use a large sheathed knife to dress out big game. My knife of choice is the Buck 110 folder but feel the version I got for about $69.00 from cabelas is the best edge I have ever had on a knife. It stays sharp and is real easy to touch up using a small hand sharpener.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod&cmCat=MainCatcat600798&i d=0027310
Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed knife mentioned is too large for a field knife. In regards to the cold steel had a master hunter and did not like it, reason being wouldn't hold an edge and took far to long to get one when re-sharpening. My grohman (small) skinner is my most used with an equal seconds to the buck alpha hunter and buck 103 skinner. Another knife I really liked was a Gerber Gator can't remember the model number but it steel/blade was the grade above those you find for under $50 at walmart. My favorite knife is a puma however it is strictly a camp knife as I fear losing a memento item that was given to me by a very special person, my youngest daughter(sadlypassed away last year).
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite knife is the Grohmann GR-1 Canadian belt knife. It holds an edge and is very comfortable to use. The knife wasn't as sharp as I would of liked out of the box, but it didn't take me long to touch up the edge. Keep in mind that I am very particular about the sharpness of my knives. If they will not "pop" hair I am not happy. Here is a link:
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

I also have a buck 110 folder that I have had for 30 years. I once broke the tip of the blade off digging a slug out and I sent it back to Buck and they replaced the blade under warranty. I abused the knife and broke it plain and simple. They had no obligation to repair it under the warranty but they did. You can't ask for better service than that. Plus it was only a couple of weeks before I had the knife back.

Bob

Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a buck 110
i have the non folding version. it should be a required tool of the trade.