Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

UV Killer?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: UV Killer?

Well I washed all my clothes last nite and are line drying right now, so no UV Killer has been applied to the actual clothes. I did check my belt and it had the same orange glow to it as my gloves and masks and fleece. I sprayed it with the UV Killer and nothing, the orange glow stayed. After I wased everything and hung it up to dry, I decided to take the black light and see which garments had the orange glow and which ones didnt. Now mind you, not all variables were noted such as companies camo came from, exact fabric, etc when doing this as I had other things going on as well. What I did notice is that both my fleece jacket and pants had the orange glow, my mask which is fleece had the orange glow, my gloves which are just green knit with the black rubber dotes on the fingers and palm had the orange glow and my mossy oak pants that are like deniem but softer (not sure of the material) had the orange glow. On one of my masks, which is a full head mask, the part that goes around your head is a fleece like material but did not glow orange, but the neck piece and piece under my nose which is of a cotten material but stretchy, glowed orange. And here is an odd on, I have a browning hat that is just your basic run of the mill hat in a camo pattern and it does not glow, but the browning logo which is just green stitching glows orange!!! Cant figure it out. My belt is a basic military style belt but in camo and it glows orange and when hit with the spray, it didnt stop glowing. So Im not sure if its a fabric thing or what. thinking maybe my theroy of the lint getting on the clothes seems out the window but who knows. I'll report back tomorrow after I spray the clothes with the UV Killer. Oh, Buckwild41, did you rewash your clothes after you sprayed them with the UV Killer and it dried? I would think the odor would not be good in the woods.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Ok guys,
I have a dream season suit I have worn for 2 years. It has only been washed using Scent-Lok Premium Clothing Wash and no other detergent. They claim to have no UV brightners. That being said when my Moultrie I40 camera took my photo using the UV mode [no flash] The camo pattern was a solid grey color this morning! My Hunter Safety System vest showed up with the camo pattern but the suit was a solid color!!! Now mind you the photos are basicaly black & white but if this is what the deer are seeing than what is the sence of the camo pattern? I am wondering if the UV wash and spray will cure this. I can't help but think that this is what the deer are seeing. I don't have a black light but the UV photos should give the same result. Any thoughts??????
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 2footroper

Ok guys,
I have a dream season suit I have worn for 2 years. It has only been washed using Scent-Lok Premium Clothing Wash and no other detergent. They claim to have no UV brightners. That being said when my Moultrie I40 camera took my photo using the UV mode [no flash] The camo pattern was a solid grey color this morning! My Hunter Safety System vest showed up with the camo pattern but the suit was a solid color!!! Now mind you the photos are basicaly black & white but if this is what the deer are seeing than what is the sence of the camo pattern? I am wondering if the UV wash and spray will cure this. I can't help but think that this is what the deer are seeing. I don't have a black light but the UV photos should give the same result. Any thoughts??????
You're confusing infrared withUV with regard to your trailcam, they aren't the same. No trailcam uses UV for it's flash free mode. Infrared mode uses the heat generated by the target to illuminate it.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Kevin,
You are exactly right. My mistake[:@]. I am now wondering if this also affects the way a deer sees the camo. It's wierd because the vest on the Hunter safety system appears to retain the camo pattern but the rest of the clothes look White!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer can't see very far into the infrared spectrum, anything below bright orange(605NM) is a grey shade to them.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Outdoors, I have no idea what the reddish color you are getting is? If I understand you correctly you are seeing the reds but no blue glows? Maybe it's the light you are using or maybe it's your eyes?? Like Kevin stated reds are not a big problem.

Someone asked did I wash the clothing after spraying? No and the stuff still failed to hide the blue after a few hours.

2foot, I was worried at first when I discovered that some of my clothing lost it's pattern under IR. Like stated deer do not see in the IR wave lengths so it shouldn't be an issue.

For what it's worth I was in the local BP this evening looking at several pieces of new camo. I was surprised to learn the young lady working that sectionwas well aware of the UV issue and although she did not mention it until I brought it up stated she too was concerned and was searching for something to treat it or how to avoid it. We placed some pants and a suit under my light and low and behold the pocket flaps and cuffs glowed bright blue.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Ya'll,
If you can't find the UV killer wash and spray locally, you can order it from Cabelas. I ordered some yesterday and it was in stock.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Buckwild41- Its orange, like a rust color. Obviously its not an issue because I had does stare at me for a good solid 5 min trying to pick me out and couldnt, and a spike and 2 small 8's looked at me and tried to figure me out and didnt. all the deer that looked at me, never spooked either. So that eases my concern about the orange glow. And yes you are correct, Im not seeing the blue, just orange.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Here's my 2cents. There are different qualities of UV lights out there that contain or do not contain certian spectrums of light. Some lights will give some things that orange glow that is not very visible to deer but may mask some blue glow you are looking for. I have a Walmart light that produces orange glow and a good one that gives me pretty blues. Try a better light or the one from the UV Killer site.

Having trouble killing that pesky glow? Your garment may have been previously washed with UV brightened detergent or have other additives on the fabric preventing satisfactory treatment. Try running your washer through 1 or 2 cycles with Sport Wash or similar product to clean out any UV brightner residue. Wash your garment with Sport Wash twice and line dry to avoid anything in the dryer. Apply UV Killer as directed. If that dosen't work, burn them and buy new gear. Just kidding, Could be some bad fabric.

Can't find UV Killer, join the club. Seems all the usual places in my area don't have any either( Wallmart, Kmart, Gander Mtn, or Dicks Sporting Goods). I had to buy some from the web site.

In my opinion, the stuff works. Last week, I bought a 3D head cover and did not check it for uv first. Several deer did the head bob and spooked. I took it off, put it away and doned my beanie with my face exposed. No more problems with the deer, had them eating all around me; even had a buck walk under my stand. I checked the cover at home and guess what? It glowed like a light bulb, just like the leafy stuff on the previous page.
Most camo doesn't need the treatment, some realy need it. Remember, most, if not all of the fabric, comes from places like China no matter who puts the print on it.

Happy hunting.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Per the folks at ATSKO it should be a B8 BLB bulb.. Mine happens to me mark just as they described and works fine..

Quick Reply: UV Killer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.