Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS useage

Old 02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GPS useage

just a quick post to let you users of gps units in on a few things. first of all if you are using a GARMIN GPS there is probably a software update available for download on their web site. secondly, if you take a look in the lower left hand side of your TOPO map you will see somethere called MAP DATUM, you must set your GPS unit to this information, normally it is NAD 27. most units come with them set at WGS 84, if you try to use a map with this setting you can be off 200 meters, does not sound like much until you convert this to 600 feet. i use a program called MAPtech, i can order CD' s for what ever state or part of the state i want and print out my own topo maps, well worth the price. ok, that is it, thanks for reading and hopefully this will help someone.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS usage

Thanks for the info. I' ll check it out.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Spike

lee
just a note to thnkx for the tip
did an email to garmin they said to set it up for
nads27 conus---something i didnt know till you brought it up .
they also said that any co-ordinates that were loaded in it would be automaticlly changed over wich is why i asked them b-4 i changed to 27
thanks bud!
Old 03-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t want to push a product, but you really should look into Maptech.com, you can order cd' s for any state and print out your TOPO MAPS. the key to using the program is to set it and your gps up with UTM (it is in the setup). once you do this, you can print out a map with grid squares on it. by using UTM, you will be only using the last five numbers of your coordinates. first two numbers will get you to the right grid square and the last three numbers will get you exactly where you are standing within the grid, this eliminates, ddmmss, etc, really simple to use once you understand it. if you ever need help with the program just email me with your questions at [email protected]. i have been using garmin gps' s for years, currently own the etrex (yellow), two etrex summits, and two of the Rino' s and an older model 12. i think the best one going right now is the summit because of the compass that locks on while you are standing. just my opinion. will post info here once and awhile if i think it is helping.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the reply, makes me feel like i helped someone. now that you have it changed to nad27, get into your setup and change it to UTM, once you do that, take a look at your topo map and you will see a small number and a large number on the sides and top and bottem of the map, if you connect these numbers from top to bottem and side to side you will have utm grids. now take a reading with your gps.it should look something like this: 18 S 0303390 UTM 4279350, work with the last five numbers of each, example: 03390 will get you into the grid for 03 and 79350 will get you into the grid for 79 above and to the right of these numbers if the grid square you will be using, once you find the grid square, use the remaining three numbers for each to find your exact location within the grid. give it a try and let me know how it comes out for you, heck, i might make you an instant map reader.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Spike

yeah we' ll go over utm at another time --- but for now two of my buds want to switch over to the rhinos
what do yu think of them pro' s /cons
i dont want to i like my summit and dist, dps for staying in contact
any imput is appreciated[:-]
Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the rino 110, comes with lots of bells and whistles you might never use, likeCalendar for best times to fish and hunt; clock, stopwatch and alarm; plus a few games, but overall the unit works great once you get it set up and this takes a lot of time, screen is small, has a click stick button that is hard to use, and there are tons of hidden stuff on it that you will need to find in order to set it up, BUT, once you get it set up, it is a great unit. it will transmit your position to another person using the same unit and that works great. it comes with 22 channels, 1-14 are for FRS and then come in loud and clear, channels 15-22 are for GMRS and are supposed to transmit for up to five miles, not sure about this, but you CANNOT transmit your position using the GMRS channels. the compass does not work unless you are moving, unlike your summit. battery life is 15 hours on the unit, if you need anymore info give me a yell. oh, if you use a map and a gps, you need to go utm.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS useage

I would be curious out of the 167 hits i had on this message has anyone else learned anything about using a gps or using the gps in conjunction with a map.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Spike

lee thanx for the input!
i think we' re gonna stay with lat/lon cause we hunt with different guys from diff parts of the country an we all have the same maps usgs-lat/lon this way we are all on the same " page" but would like to ask your opinon shopuld we be set up
for hddd*mm.mmm* or a different frmt?
just cause noone replys doesnt mean they didnt learn anthing!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The geography teacher was lecturing on map reading. After explaining about latitude, longitude, degrees, minutes, and seconds the teacher asked, " Suppose I asked you to meet me for lunch at 23 degrees, 4 minutes, 30 seconds north latitude and 45 degrees, 15 minutes, zero seconds east longitude...?"
After a confused silence, a voice volunteered, " I guess you' d be eating alone." this just about sums up my feeling about trying to read a map with degrees, minutes and seconds and the fact that you had to ask me how to set up your gps indicates that you will not be able to find yourself on the map, but if you still want to try it, set it up for hddd.mm.ss.s. UTM/UTS is the way to go, it is all ready on all your buddies maps, comes standard on all USGS maps, previous messages explains how to use it, so simple you will be wondering how come someone did not explain it to you before. i am sure someone has read these messages, tried it out, and is saying to himself, darn, this is really simple. ok, i give up, use the degrees, minutes and seconds and have fun. have a great day.

Quick Reply: GPS useage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.