Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS useage

Old 03-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS useage

ok, either i explained the process of using utm/uts along with your topo maps well enough for all of you to understand or you don' t care. anyways, last thing i wanted to add was that once you got the utm grid squares drawn on your topo map, the squares have to be marked off in 1000, from left to right and from bottem to top, this is where the last three digits of the grid co-ordinates come in, it will pinpoint you exactly on the map. enjoy and i hope someone learned something from this process, this is my last post on the subject.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

LeeinVa1 - You are absolutely right about using UTM coordinates. I frquently use a plastic protractor marked with UTM scales for transfering coordinates. It is extremely accurate, and once learned easy to use. Did you learn to read a map in the military? I ask because most of my friends with military background adapt readily to and prefer UTM.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

to answer your question, yes, i learned map reading during my military service (25 years in the Army), but i must confess that once i got my first gps around 1990 and discovered UTM that was the way i went in a hurry, it is simple to use, and you can look at your grid coordinates on the gps and just about eyeball where you are on the topo map. i have taught many people to use a gps and map over the years and hope i have helped some by posting this information to the forum. thanks for your reply.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: GPS usage

yes i can meet you for lunch ill even bring the beer!
ther are lots of great sites out there in regards to gps
usage---just got my custom maps in with the utm grids on them
wery nice indeed
Old 03-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS usage

Rickill, i hope that message means that you finally took a good look at UTM and decided to go with it, if not i will still try to meet you for lunch.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

for you guys using a gps along with a map, here is a great site for ordering waterpruf maps. www.mytopo.com they will print a map that is centered on your hunting area, which means instead of having to refer to several maps for the area you hunt, you can now get it all on one, you can also have the utm grids printed on the maps.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a quick note to let the users of garmin rhino' s that they have posted an update to the software, available for download, at the following site: http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp This site lists all the latest available downloads for all their units.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:08 AM

I had trouble getting my gps to be the same as my maps. I also found in addition to your settings that the marine base map should not be checked. I have found it fun to take my gps points and putting them on a map. Have fun
Old 04-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

not sure what problem you are talking about when you say you had problems with your gps and map, did my information help you to solve that? also, what program are you using to move gps readings to your map?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a short note to let you know garmin posted another update to the Rino 110/120 on their website the 15th of April.

Quick Reply: GPS useage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.