Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Truck suggestions?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Truck suggestions?

I disagree with that comment on Fords - Have had 3 - one I kept 23 yrs and it is still running. Added on rear end and 2 clutches and has 306,000 on it when I sold it.

The other was a 2001 extended cab to which I traded in for a 4 door - 6.5ft box FX 4x4 and absolutley love it. Has the same turning radius of my extended cab.

Has plenty of room for five and with the 60/40 split front bench you will have room for 6

The one I have now a 2006 - has run flawless for me. Has a shooting port (aka mon roof) that my dog likes to stick her head out of. Power windows, did buy buckets and not the 60/40 bench - full size back seats - that do flip up and I can get 2 more large dog crates back there - power slide rear window and I did add a A.R.E. Cap that has yakima roof racks for a canoe, side opwing shop windows with slide vents and the cab/cap front window does fold in for easy cleaning. Cap was colored matched to the truck. Does have running boards on it to help my short wife get in. At this point I am getting just a little over 16 mph. Can run on E-85 though have not tried it.

Only item I wished I had was the turn signals in the mirrors and heated outside mirrors. Does have keyless entry too. Handles nice off road and handles nice in snow. I do add 300 lbs of sand bags though in winter as the 5.4L engine does have the giddy up and go I need if I pull my 18 ft Lund duck boat or down to my pop-up or 14 ft duck boat. It does have back=up sensors to which I really like also.

I did add a K&N air filter as they are cleanable. I still change oil myslef and it is easy to get to filter. I added Husky floor mats front and back and Husky mud guards.

I did go with all leather as with muddy dogs was much easier to keep clean.

JW
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

or a dodge

Have you had bad experiance with them???
Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Currently own a 2004 Ford Ranger fast approaching 110,000 miles!!! Best darn truck I ever owned!! Sad part is they are stopping production on them next year. I personally don't really need a full size truck for whatI do, so my next one might be either a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, or a Honda Ridgeline.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

i just bought a a new 08 ford f150 fx4 crew cab and wouldnt trade it for any truck out there. i can pull anything i need to. plenty opf room for kids in the back. i get 18 mpg on regular gas and 16mpg on e85. you cant beat that!!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Just for the record, Toyota trucks are built in the US of course with foreign parts, but so are ford and chevy's. Do a little digging into this and you'd be surprised that some parts for fords and chevy are manufactured in Mexico, OUCH! Not to mention the their electronics, which are exclusively made in mexico. Since when did mexico surpass the japanese in quality? Hmmm.... I would think before you'd make a purchase. I drove fords and chevy's most of my life and i am disgusted in the product they make. THey outta take some lessons from the Germans in quality and steal the japanese electronics and make a great product. But they contiue to build less then quality trucks. I miss the old days when I would jump into my pappy's 56 pick up. Now that was a truck!!!!!!

I hope Americans quit getting other countries to make there products and become a great self reliant nation again. I miss that old american quality. Built like a tank and made to last. THis is the American product that would be wonderful to read about. I hate to be so pessimistic and so unamerican cause I love my country, but Choose the Toyota.[&o]

Hope you guys can forgve me.

Justin
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

yep you cant beat them old trucks. i have a 73 ford that you can throw anything at it and not hurt it. i wish new trucks were made like that but again i still like my newFORD f150. i looked at the toyota and their frames looked so weak. i havebent two (not toyota but full size trucks)frameshauling stuff in the past and the f150 has a box frame which help eliminate that among other things.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM

I have had 4x4 rangers for years,and have been very happy.Parts are not that expensive and you can work onthem yourself...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned a 91 ranger 4x4 and an 88 bronko 4x4,both of which suffered several breakdowns and spent plenty of time in the shop.I owned a 95 Z71 extended cab 4x4,a 99 Z71 extended cab4x4,and a 04 Z71 1/2 ton crew4x4,all three of which suffered axle and pinion seal failures.The 04 also suffered electronic problems and a very expensive four wheel drive failure.I am currently driving an 07 Tundra double cab 4x4 which I have had for over 1-1/2 years,and so far it has only been in a shop for oil changes.Mileage wise the 91 ranger averaged about 25 miles per imperial gallon on the highway,the GMs had the 5.7 and 5.3 engines and averaged 22 to 23 miles per imperial gallon on the highway,and the Tundra with the 5.7 averages about 22 miles per imperial gallon on the highway.The Tundra has by far the most power,and the largest interior volume for an extended cab.From my own experiences,my next truck will likely be another Toyota.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:33 PM

I have an 03 F 150 FX4 with all the heavy duty towing stuff. I tow a 7000lb camper and get 14 mpg highway.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have an 04 ram 4 door 1500 4x4 wwhich I bought brand new. It has 60,000 miles on it and have only had to replace the brake pads. I have 2 kids and their is plenty of room in the back.I looked at extended pickups but they were not nearly big enough for the kids.I love my dodge and the only reason i would et rid of it would be to get a 2500.(though i do like the new F250's)

Quick Reply: Truck suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.