Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Clothes from frost to upper 50s >

Clothes from frost to upper 50s

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Clothes from frost to upper 50s

Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default Clothes from frost to upper 50s

I was thinking about gettinga new pair of hunting pantsfor archery elk hunting that will work well when hunting from frost temperatures in early morning to upper 50sas the high temp later in the day.

My day will include standing and walking but probably more walking . Could encounter rain.

My concern is if I get pants that are too heavy then I'll overheat later in the day. My other option is to wear a pair of underarmour, gold gear, bottoms with light weight pants. I suppose I could take the underarmour off in mid day and switch to polypropolene undershorts. I'll have a fanny pack.Scent lok type of pants tend to be a bit warmer.

I presently own scent shield outfitter series. If you have experience with these I would be interested in your opinion.

Maybe I have already answered my question by layering and shedding or adding as the day dictates.

Thoughts? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Clothes from frost to upper 50s

Lightweight wool pants over lightweight polypropolene long underwear would probably fill the bill. These are breathable materials and have a broad comfort range. They both dry quickly, too. One source of suitable lightweight wool pants is get the M-51 Army wool trousers that can be found on the Internet or through Army surplus outlets. I have used these a lot, including at 10,500' elevations in SW Colorado hunting the Wapiti.

Other sources of such lightweight wool pants would include Filson. Their MacKinaw Field Pants are 24 oz wool and NOT lightweight. They have another pair -- maybe called "featherweight"? -- that would work. They are pretty expensive, though, at about $170/pair.