Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best scent control system?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Best scent control system?

Ok guys, I'm tired of reading articles upon articles about carbon activated clothing. Each company bashes it's competitors in every article I've read.

First off, let's start this discussion with carbon activated clothing. It's supposively like a sponge. From the articles I've read carbon clothing has to be heated up to somewhere around 1,000 degrees to release all it has absorbed. Everyone knows a household dryer will not do that and it will only heat to around a 1/4 of that. That being said, carbon activated clothing does not even reach half of it's odor absorbing potential.Some articles claim this suitdoes have a very good concept, but what happens when it becomes saturated to the point it doesn't even work anymore? I cannot find any data that shows how long it takes for this suit to to become fully saturated and not work.And if it does become fully saturated, only 1/4of the trapped odors can be released in a household dryer. Just imagine the hours you spend in the woods andthe amount ofodor molecules that are not released in a dryer time after time after time again. Its seems these suits do work and do have a great concept, but it's not scientifically possible forasuit like this to work as good as it's deemed to.

I do have a scent lok suit. Do I think it works? I'm not sure. I have had a deer directly down wind of me blow at me when I know I've done everything right to get the suit ready and as scent free as possible. I had rubber boots on, but I did have clothes under the activated carbon that were not washed in scent free soap. Could this have been my problem? Bow hunting here in NC as many people know is very hot. I've worn just the activated carbon suit with nothing on under but a pair of boxers and it is like being in a sauna. And, when this carbon gets wet, I've heard it doesn't work. I don't know...

Secondly, what aboutall this under layer clothing such as the silver ion based clothes. The silver in these clothes kills the bacteria causing odor before it is released. You don't have to activated this type. Thistype of clothing seems a little more realistic and seems it kills theroot of the problem before it can form.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best scent control system?

I just use HS green bodywash with Triclosan in the shower and baking soda in the wash. I've tried carbon based scent control and found it distinctly lacking, I've also tried other scent control systems with the same result. Haven't tried the silver impregnated stuff, but I doubt that it would work any better than what I'm currently doing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best scent control system?