Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Crazy solution to cold feet... >

Crazy solution to cold feet...

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Crazy solution to cold feet...

Old 12-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Crazy solution to cold feet...

I have battled the 'cold feet syndrome' for quite some time now and I think that I have finally figured out a solution. The testing ground was a COLD day of deer hunting in Kansas this past weekwith a steady 15-20 mph north wind (mostly in my face) that lasted all day. The high temperature was a balmy25. It was so cold that my bottled water froze from the steady wind while in the stand by noon...[8D]. No deer this day, but I am a better man for it.

1) Apply anti-perspirant (scent-a-way)to my feet. Got this tip from field and stream...

2) Cabela's thermax liner sock.
3) Cabela's outfitter series wool sock (heavy weight).
4) 1200 gram thinsulate hunting boot.
5) Arctic shield boot insulators as soon as I got to the stand.

About 3.5 hours, feet got cold. Put a 'handwarmer' on top of my boot laces in the boot insulator and it helped a little. Then I put the handwarmer inside my boot between the insole and sock. My feet warmed up almost immediately, and I was able to stay in the stand for the rest of the day without any problems. Feet were still tingling, however, NO PAIN! I am going to get some pac boots with more insulation and will see how that changes the equation.Hope this helps. Please feel free to add your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crazy solution to cold feet...

I have the same problem, my feet are always cold even when I'm not hunting. Gonna have to try the anti-perspirant deal.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Also remember that heating your kidneys inderectly heats your feet! Put a couple handwarmers over your kidneys and let that warm blood circulate to your toes.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM

I've hunted in 5 degree wheather with 1,000g Thinsulate boots with regurlar socks and my feet were very warm.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 PM

Newguy23 is correct about heating your core as well. Try using a thermacare heat wrap, as suggested by someone else on this site, and what I have been using during cold weather. I works very well keeping you warm.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Predator26

I've hunted in 5 degree wheather with 1,000g Thinsulate boots with regurlar socks and my feet were very warm.
've hunted in 5 degree wheather with 1,000g Thinsulate boots with regurlar socks and my feet were very warm.
you must have some hot blood. id say maybe if you walk every now and then but 3 to 10 hours on a stand your feet are gonna get cold. i say ditch all those ploy pro liner socks. go with good wool against your skin. polt makes my feet feel clamy. heat packs are a must. i also agree about keeping you core body warm like chest and your back. it will take care of your hands and feet. i saw a show on the discovery channel about just that. they stuck a guy in a refridgerated room and when they stopped heating his chest his hands went numb. you could sew some pockets in a fleece shirt and load up the heat packs. or just buy one of these like i did. http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe...p%253Fid%253D3
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have problems as well with my feet. I started buying my boots a 1/2 size larger and instead of buying regular width I buy wide width. I also leave the top two or three eyelets untied and pull my under armor and thermal underware over the untied eyelets. This allows room so circulation does not get cut off to my feet. I wear the thin liner socks with a good pair of wool socks over them. My feet now stay nice and toasty!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Spike

Icebreaker brand Boot Blankets work.