Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I need a good budget rifle scope.

Old 11-17-2002, 06:56 PM

Default I need a good budget rifle scope.

I bought a Winchester model 70 in 7mm WSM and it came with a Simmons 8-point scope. I took it off and replaced it with a Bushnell 3-9x40 and didn't like it either. I'd like to keep the price under $150. This is not my primary deer rifle and will only use it when hunting where longer shots (100 yds plus) present themselves. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:04 PM

Default RE: I need a good budget rifle scope.

I think the best bet for you is the Simmons Aetec or Simmons 44Mag. Both are VERY similar, and they used to be $200 scopes. I have seen them all over ebay, and others on the internet for right around $100. I personally own both scopes, and they are NO better than my Leupold or my Nikon Buckmasters. Try them out, you will be satisfied.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a Swift , it is the best scope for the money and the best warrantyabout $80. Thats what I use after I found out about them...
Old 11-21-2002, 05:33 PM

I would go with a Sightron, or a Nikon Buckmaster. Both are good optics and are available for around $200. Burris is another option to explore. Sadly in the world of optics, you do get what you pay for; prime example is BSA--cheap price/cheap quality.

A scope will show its stuff at dusk/dawn and in bad light conditions.
The coatings used on the interior and exterior are what you pay for as well as the grinding of the lenses.

Simmons Aetecs are by no means a cheap scope and the aspherical technology makes for great resolution.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:53 PM

I just recently purchased another Leupold Vari X II for on one of my rifles. It is a 3-9 x 40 just like two others I have in the gun cabinet right now on other rifles and I only paid $239.99 for it. Just a little bit more money than you said you wanted to spend, to get a really good dependable scope. This one doesn't have all the bells and whistles, just unbelievable clarity and great low light shootability.

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-22-2002, 07:45 AM

I agree with Pinmaster. Save your $$$. Leupold manufactures quality optics/scopes that are far worth the price. They are ideal for low light clarity and mid-distance viewing.

-Gooch-
Old 11-22-2002, 05:46 PM

I used to stear everyone to Leupold until I missed 3 deer with my muzzle loader and a 8year old 6X Leupold. They replaced everything in it and for free but it left me with no confidence in Leupold. I had 3 of there scopes at the time and now own 0.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What type of Bushnell was it? The 3200 elite is decent for the price, the banner I wouldn't thank you for it..but no some guys who like.

Like others said you get what you pay for in optics. But a budget is a budget. Burris, Nikon, Elite 3200 (if you never tried it), leupold and then germans. I wouldn't put a simmons or a trashco on top of any of my weapons...had both and no thanks from now on out.

I currently have Leupold Vari xIII, Burris Sign Series, Bushnell Elite 3200 and Bushnell elite 4200, all in 50 mm objectives (except the 3200...which I never use anymore...I am a 50mm hooked, line and sinker guy now).

What are you looking for in an optic. If it is low light than I suggest going to a 44 or 50 mm objective...you'll be suprised what 1-2% more light looks like. The bonus is images appear much more clearer at other times as well.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:23 AM

In my opinion, you shouldn't try to stay below 150 bucks; I think the value of a scope is more than that. That being said, a Swift scope is your best bet for that type of money. What I would suggest is a Bushnell Elite 4200 in a 50mm objective. I feel you get similar quality to a Leupold without the price tag.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:00 AM

If you really want to get the most out of your rifle, it is not unheard of to spend more on the scope than the rifle. To get the best out of your rifle a Ziess Conquest would be good--around $350, or a Burris Signature--range from $400-600, a Nikon Monarch. The quality of the lenses and the coating is worth every penny. My preferred choice of optics is a Leupold Mark IV Tactical or a Gen III
Springfield, spend the money on a good scope, it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: I need a good budget rifle scope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.