Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

goretex boots (again)

Old 10-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Default goretex boots (again)

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to their hunting boots.

I am into the light weight hunting boots with the all nylon cordera (sp?) outside that claim to be 100% percent water proof. Now i have boots that are cabela made as well as made by wolverine (great boots i have to say feel like sneakers on your feet and warm)

HOWEVER, for some reason although both claim to be 100% waterproof (cabelas "dryplus" and wolverine "goretex") for some reason if i am walking through a field with wet grass, either thawing dew or wet in the summer they both get soaked. I mean you could wring my socks out.

I don't know if i am not taking care of them (but i didn't think that these types of boots needed grooming) or its just the boots but two pair makes me think it may be me.

Anyone with any experience or advice please help. As you all know wet feet can make for a very short hunt.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: goretex boots (again)

I feel your pain. I've got the same problem with a pair of danners so I emailed danner and they said send the boots back to them. I'm not sure what they will do if anything just have to wait and see.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that’s not good. I have a pair of hunting boots that have Gore-Tex and my feet don’t get wet at all. One thing I do to eliminate getting wet feet is tying my boots all the way up. Never mine going half way and wrapping the laces around the ankles. This helps in ankle support and eliminating water problems...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Sounds like the water is getting through the seams. Goretex is just a membrane. The water will soak through the cordura before it gets to the membrane, at which point it *should* stop. Sounds like yours are defective, or the sewing wasn't that good and left holes too big to keep out the water at the seams. One thing to try is some silicone boot spray. You can find it at walmart in the camping section. I use it on my hikers and it sheds the water off the cordura before it can soak in. The boots have the goretex membrane as well, but I don't like to rely on just that. Granted, I'm far more likely to misplace a step and put water over the top.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sal...get a refund...waterproof means dry..sure your notgoing in too deep..how tall are your boots??
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can wade in water with my meindls and my feet stay dry.Your boots are defective.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is the tongue of your boots open or does it come up on the sides to near the top? I have seen "waterproof" boots that have open tongues before and they will most certainly let in water.Either wayI'd say take them back as well, they are defective and useless. 2 guys in our elk camp had the same problem with brand new boots, BTW both were Rocky's. They were replaced upon return by the vendors after stink was raised[:@].
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Send them back.heeze is right. Waterproof means dry.I have had the same pair of Rocky's for 3 years before they started leaking. I had a small rip right underneath the sole and my feet were getting wet. They took them back and sent me a new pair with no problem.