Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 cabelas dry-plus vs goretex >

cabelas dry-plus vs goretex

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

cabelas dry-plus vs goretex

Old 09-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default cabelas dry-plus vs goretex

Have used Gore-Tex bibs the last 8 years, with no complaints, but was thinking about giving Dry-Plus a try in a new pair of bibs. Any thoughts out there in the difference in the two. Does Dry-Plus block the wind and rain as well as Gore-Tex.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:52 PM

Default RE: cabelas dry-plus vs goretex

I bought a set of Dry Plus bibs and coat last year, it does well in the rain but I am VERY dissatisfied with the amount of noise it makes. If I had it to do over again I would buy something in person where I could sheck somethng like that. I should have sent it back but didn' t, my own stupidity. Just my .02...
Old 09-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

mshane,

Chances are that you can still send it back. Cabelas is really good with that type of stuff.

Buckmister,

I will vouch for any of the Dry-Plus garments. They do stop wind and rain very well. In fact, I have yet to get wet or cold (in the insulated garments) in any of the Dry Plus garments that I own. Speaking of which, I have two Dry Plus Thinsulate Revolution Fleece Pullovers and a pair of Dry Plus Thinsulate Revolution Fleece pants that I highly recommend for late season hunting. They make the uninsulated versions as well but the cost is more than I am willing to pay for an early season garment. I did see a Dry Plus Revolution Fleece Jacket on sale though for about $70, IIRC, in the bargain cave.

As for the noise issue, yes and no. Dry Plus does have a slight " swish" to it but that noise is actually inside the garment and cannot be readily heard more than a foot or two from the garment itself.

Try one out. If you do not like it then send it back. Cabelas will take it and all it will cost you is the shipping charges.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the Dry Plus revolution fleece last fall based on PA' s input and recommendation, and couldn' t have been happier. I went with the insulated pullover and bibs. Couldn' t be happier, warmer or drier
Old 09-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

well it sounds like it' s worth a try. I' m going for the Dry-Plus Silent Suede Serires Bibs. Thanks Guys for the input.

Buckmister
Old 09-25-2003, 05:18 PM

We (the wife and I) give Dry-Plus a HUGE thumbs-up. We live on Kodiak Island...we average 2-3x the rainfall that Seattle gets each year - yeah, it' s wet.

We' ve got Dry-Plus jackets, parkas, and bibs. They work great - we' ve never gotten wet because of the clothing.

Cabela' s is so much more affordable than most items that use Gore-Tex, or at least that' s what we' ve found.

Give it a try - you won' t be disappointed!

Andy
Kodiak, Alaska
Old 09-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm, I wonder why the dryplus makes noise. I know that some of the old Gortex and Windstopper also did the same. I sent a few items of windstopper back in fact. But one thing that I have notices with some of the noise problems even with gortex, is that if you wash the item in " goxtex approved" detergent like atsko sportswash, is seems to soften the material making it more quiet. I wonder if it would do the same with dry-plus. I am interested because I have a MT050 packable jacket, and I' d like some packable bibs (don' t care for pants while hunting) to match. As of now MT050 does not come in packable bibs. But, cabelas does offer tall bibs that are packable in dryplus.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bobco,

I wouldn' t see why not. From what I was told the patent on Goretex ran out sometime in the last few years and since then there have been several " similar" products brought onto the market. I believe Dry-Plus to be one of them.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would think that dry-plus is one of the better ones. I have not found much stuff that was low in quality from Cabelas, and like you have mentioned their return policy is very good, almost to the point of craziness. Not that I would do it because I find it morally wrong, but I knew of a person that would buy stuff from Cabelas, hunt with it, then return it after the season. Anyway, I did buy some stuff before that was suppose to as good as Gortex (not from cabelas), and the stuff was terrible, but that was years ago. I' m gonna give the dry plus packable bibs a try.