Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Garmin gps

Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Garmin gps

I am loking at getting a gps. I don't know much about them at all. I am looking at the vista series. Whats the diff between the c and the cx. How good are the legends?? The price is making me want to do a little research on the quality of those. Mostley this will be used for hunting.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Garmin gps

The C stands for color and I believe the x stands for the SiFiIII chipset. The C is the standard color and the CX is the better accuracy chipset uint. I bought the 60CSX, it is amazing how accurate it is in the deep and under heavy canopy. I have been doing some geocaching to help me get familiar with my unit and have found it to be a great handheld unit. Especially since they released a new firmware that corrected the WAAS functionality and has made it even more accurate. When I say accurate I am getting it down to 6ft in the woods.The Garmins area a great unit and I suggest looking at this forum to get more info. http://forums.groundspeak.com/gc/

Hope this helps, Jeff
Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will go along with the "C" standing for color but I don't knowthat the "CX" " is the better accuracy chipset unit".

It looks to me like they have the same WAAS/EGNOS capabilities and both have a 12 parallel channel receiver. The biggest thing that I see is the C has 24 MB of memory and the CX has a removeable memory card capable of 64 MB.

Judgemint, I don't know what your budget is or how "hardcore" you are in your hunting. I know when I go deep in the back country chasing elk I want a GPS along. I recently up graded my old garmin 12 cx. I looked at the Legend cx, the Vista cx, and the 60csx as well as the Lowrance IFinder Series.

I did a comparison at: http://www.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp

I wanted the electronic compass and altimeter so that eliminated the Legend. One of the biggest hassles for meis locking on to satellites under a heavy canopy. The High-sensitivity GPS receiver on the 60cxs appealed to me. If it were not for that option I would own a Vista Cx.

I must say however I am very pleased so far with the 60Cxs. The best prices I have foundis at GPSnow.com; although I have not had any dealings with them.

Hope this helps.....
Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Antler Eater have you done the webupdater for your 60Csx. It corrects the WAAS capablility and I now lock on the WAAS signal and am getting down to 6ft accuracy from 12ft. just thought I would add that.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zingnut I have not done that; didnt even know it existed. What is the procedure?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 PM

Hey Judgemint,
I work as a forester and use a Garmin 76 (under $200) every day - it works faster & easier than the $3500 units that my (government) agency provides. Now to be honest the accuracy varies quite a bit - with terrain, tree cover, and time of day - but NO GPS UNIT can guarantee that it won't do this! I've personally never seen an error greater than 200', but I'd say that 20-50' is more normal - unless you plan on setting property corners while hunting, you'll probably get by with this -and it's often better on open ground and flat terrain.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:09 AM

A few of us have them, and I would save out of all the manufactorers Garmin is the best, ballancing quality, featuresand price.

Just have to pick what feature you are going to need and they probably will also have one in a decent price range for you.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Antler Eater, You download the Webupdater on the garmin webpage. After you get that installed and you have your disc that came with the GPS installed on your PC thenyou can connect your GPS to your PC and launch the webupdater and it will search for your GPS and after it does it will show you the available software and firmware updates from Garmin. Just select and it loads it all with no issues. It really helps with the new updates. I normally launch the Webupdater on mine about once a month.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 PM

I own the ledgend and it works very well for me. I also bought the topo map software and thought that was a very good investment because the basemap didn't show enough detail. Satelite acquision is also quite fast.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too have the Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one). It's a great GPS and is packed with so many features that it could be a little overwhelming to a "newbie". But once you read the manual or have prior experience with GPS's, you will LOVE the Garmin GPS's. [8D]

The only problem I've had with my Legend is when I got into real thick, heavy and dense, woods - I lost the signal... But once I got out of the thick canopy - boom - the signal came right back.

Quick Reply: Garmin gps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.