Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cuddeback is it worth the $$$

Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cuddeback is it worth the $$$

I like mine except for one thing - something is messed up with the picture quality (they seem "fuzzy", like the animals are glowing). It takes pics when it's supposed to and battery life is great (about 3 months). I have contacted Cuddeback and they first said it might be the card I used, but another (new) new card produced the same type problems. They then said they need to run some diagnostics on it when I bring it out of the woods.

The Stealth has absolutely ridiculously slow trigger time and battery life stinks (even my 12 V pack only lasts 1.5 weeks). Also the construction of the units is poor. the clips on my camera have broke and my father's input jack broke the first time we tried to plug in.

Hopefully, customer service helps. I've had good and badd experiences with Stealth and so far so good with Cuddeback.

I am considering getting a .3 MP Wildview for $50. ???
Old 09-21-2006, 06:29 PM

Hey all first post here. I have had a cuddeback 3.0 for a year now. I am having problems with night pictures. Everything looks hazy. Nothing is clear and the flash doesn't seem to be bright enough. Also pictures at sunrise and sunset are fuzzy. Any suggestions on anything I can do?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 PM

If you'rehunting in an area where cameras can be easily stolen, there are some nice cameras out there for under $200. I just bought a Bushnell 2.1 Trail Sentry($150). I also have a Cuddeback 3.0.($399). The Cuddeback takes great pictures, they're well centered and it has a fast trigger speed.I'm also getting about 2 mos. and 300pics out of a set of batteries.The Cuddy has been a great camera.... BUT... I'd rather have 2 good cameras instead of one great camera so the following played into my decision on a 2nd camera....

Fast trigger speed is very important if you want to set it up over a travel route - not real important over a feeder. Centered pictures usually mean your camera has a narrower detection area. A narrow detection area coupled with a quick trigger gives you centered pictures. For me, I could care less if my pics are centered - I'd rather have a wide detection zone, fast trigger speed resulting in more pictures.I've read that the bushnell takes more pictures thanthe cuddy, when placed on the same tree, in addition it takes quality pics and can be set at 30 second intervals. Theshortest delay onmy cuddy isone minute, which is too long IMO.

I will follow up on a reviewof the Bushnell. I just put it on the tree today.

I used www.chasingame.com to help me make my decision...great website.

So yes, the Cuddeback is a really good camera. If my Bushnell for $150 turns out to to be a really good camera, then the Cuddy's not worth the money unless you're entering your photos in a contest. Time will tell.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I boughtCuddeback last year to check out the deer that came in on my property at night.I wanted to see the bucks in the area. I will say one thing the flash is strong and bright. Every night while watching TV in bed with the wife we could see it go off through the window and lite up the room. The camera was set up about 75 yards away.
Since this has been the only trail cam I have owned I can't comment on the others. Battery life was good.The only problem I had was the camera lens got frost on it a few times and pictures came out as a white blob.
Here is a few pictures some better than others. I noticed snow will reflect the flash and affect the pictures

Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

reed2404..is it worth it to you??..your decision...im inclined to go with Kevin1 on this