Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Knives?????????????????????????????? >

Knives??????????????????????????????

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knives??????????????????????????????

Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Knives??????????????????????????????

are these higher price knives worth the money??????????????????????????

Marbles fixed blade skinner/camp knife is $160.00

i gotta old browning folder, a Western stacked leather skinner, and a cabelas $40.00 bowie. with a sharpener in my pack they get it done
(no complaints)

what makes some a the other big brands so expensive????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

early
Old 06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Knives??????????????????????????????

Some just seem to be higher priced - not sure why either sometimes- sometimes its the name or allso the type steel(imported german steel etc) or the fanyier handles like bone& antler etc( sawone Puma brand knife in sportmans guide cataloge & it was on sale even- $2,500.00)

I did get a small fixed blade Marbles knife for $20.00- called a fieldcraft i think it was- it has a plain black rubber handle on it. Many tho are just to pricey for my budget.And unless somethings on sale& in my budget range otherwiseim not buying it anyways.

(Smoky mtn knife works seems to have some good prices at times& i have gotten a few there))
Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marble's® Fieldcraft™ with Black Rubber SafeGrip Handle
MA80303 $14.99
Qty:

Marble's® Fieldcraft™ with Genuine Stag Handle
MA80307 $99.99
Qty:

Marble's® Fieldcraft™ with Jigged Bone Handle
MA80304 $92.99
Qty:

Marble's® Fieldcraft™ with Stacked Leather Handle
MA80302 $59.99
Qty:
This is a example from that smokey mtn place i mentioned- all the same knifes(blades ) as far as i know-different handles-but you can see the big price differences in them.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The better knives are pounded and ground, not stamped. Labor is costly. If you ever have a chance to compare, eg, a Randall against a current production Buck knife, the difference is well visible. If you keep them sharp, they all work. If it is something you will use annually the rest of your life, it may make sense to get a better blade. By the way, Bucks used to be hand made. I have an old skinner from that era.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:40 AM

Check this thread from a little while back...gives some insight perhaps...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1319939&mpage=1
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 AM

thanks fer the info guy's

wow!!! 5 pages a knife talk. im set fer now; but i'll keep this stuff in mind.

i put my leather stacked Western skinner through the dishwasher ta clean the Elk 'smegma' off it last year. didn't ruin it, but i mighta shortened it's life buy a few years.

early
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM

The most importent thing about my knife is the color it has to be orange otherwise I will not have it long. I have carried a sculple for many years now and I use it a lot ,with the long 2 inch blades at 10 to 15 cents apiece you cann't beat them .I can gut,butcher and cape any thing with 2 blades. they take up the space of an ink pin in your pack . With a orange folding buck light and a ultra light folding bone saw by browning and a sculple I can hunt anywhere and the combined wight is = to one large knife.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd keep your hunting knife away from heat, whatever you use, to keep the steel tempered. Alot of hunters just use pocket knives on game. Nuthin fancy.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are some good new steels out there. One of the best is s30v. Benchmade, Spyderco, Gerber and Buck are amoung the knife makers who have added s30v blades to their lineup. One good one for the money is a Cabelas exclusive. Its the old Buck 110 in s30v. They sell for about 60-70 bucks and are a real bargan. I bought one last time I was DRAWNNNN in to a Cabelas store.. Strange forces do that to me. Of course RH does not have that problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mora makes some very good knives that are a real Bargan, klike from 10-20 dollars. Very Good Swedish steel. Some are Stainless, some are high carbon and some are laminated steel. Don't let the cheap price and looks fool you, these knives hold and edge.

Quick Reply: Knives??????????????????????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.