Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Knives?????????????????????????????? >

Knives??????????????????????????????

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knives??????????????????????????????

Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 PM

Default RE: Knives??????????????????????????????

Well, it comes to quaility and consistency.

I have a "made in Pakistan" that's been more than good enough for hunting chores for the last 15 years, and a Marble's that I got as a gift 10 years ago. One cost me $20 and the other cost them about $90 but the main difference between them is that I sharpen the Marble's and it stays sharp for thatseason and the next few if it's cared for while the "Paki" needs to be honed regularly. And mine hasoutlasted the one my brother had because his wouldn't even take a decent edge and needed to hone it a few times during feild-dressing and cleanupto keep an edge.

Other posts mentioned why not spend that money on a better treestand, etc. Well, there's a reason you can spend $50 on a stand or $350 on one and it comes down to how they are made. Either one does the job, just one does it better, is just as strong but lighter,lasts longer, is more comfortable and so on. Like anything else, sometimes it IS partly the name, but most often it is the quality of the materials used and the amout of work put into it. You get what you pay for. (usually)
Old 06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Love to have a blade made of damascus steel. Someday. A good blade will hold an edge a lot longer than a cheaper one.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 AM

If you have ever held a truly Fine piece of steel in your hand, then you might understand why some people spend all of that cash on afine knife. I am not saying you would BUY ONE!! But you might understand. And some of the newer knives employ metal laminate. The Falkniven NL1 and NL 2 are big bowies that have a middle layer of very hard (and brittle) steel sandwiched between layers of softer steel. This hard center makes for incredible edge retention and the softer outer layers counteract the brittleness of the center material. this makes the best of both worlds. A knife that holds it's edge very well but is not prone to chipping or snapping.
Cold steel'sSan Mai laminated steel is the same concept.
Then you have hand made knives like the randall. It takes a master knife smith hours to make a knife. The expertese and experience these master craftsman have is worth more (to some buyers) than 8 bucks an hour.
But Even though I have some pretty high dollar knives, I also have some cheap good ones; like the buck 110 and the mora knives. And I have even done plenty of cutting chores with pieces of glass from a broken bottle
You could do all of your hnting with a utilitarian Savage 110 in 30'06 with a 4 power scope. But some people take joy in a fine blued and walnut stocked Weatherby or Kimber at 2-5 times the price.
okcmco
okcmco
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use "Knives of Alaska". They are reasonably price and work very well for my hunting needs.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have several Knives of Alaska as well. Very fine knives. The biggest one I have is the D2 steel. Another very good edge holding steel. I have almost all of the Cold Steel Knives. The Master Hunter is a favorite.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:26 PM

I've got aRandall on order right now. I did quite a bit of research at trade shows and on the internet before I made the plunge. I've got 3 less expensive knives from Buck, Gerber and KaBar. I can't even breast a pheasant with them without having to sharpen the blade.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

rapid river knife works are GREAT knives they are all hand made out of high grade steel and can be made to your preferences now they are a lil pricy but well worth it should last you a long time www.rapidriverknifeworks.com they also have a forum on knive and hunting pretty cool go check it out
Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: porknbeans

I've got aRandall on order right now. I did quite a bit of research at trade shows and on the internet before I made the plunge. I've got 3 less expensive knives from Buck, Gerber and KaBar. I can't even breast a pheasant with them without having to sharpen the blade.
While a Randall is most certainly a great knife and at some point I'm hoping to own one, you've got a problem with your sharpening technique if you have to sharpen the blade on a buck or gerber that frequently. I have no experience with KaBar, but buck and gerber both use quality steel that takes and holds a decent edge. I've got a Case and a Buck that I've been using for deer processing, and I can easily skin and process 2-3 deer with each before they need to get touched up. The Case takes the better edge and seems to hold it longer, as it seems the Buck steel is a bit harder.