HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Equalizer Tree Stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/141537-equalizer-tree-stands.html)

excalibur43 05-04-2006 02:10 AM

Equalizer Tree Stands

Has anyone bought one of these stands? They look really good, especially since you can easily level the stand at any height by just turning a knob. Jackie Caudle is endorsing them now. I watched the video clip from the web page. Looked impressive, but I wasn't sure about how quiet etc. it would be.

hardcorehunter 05-04-2006 08:06 AM

RE: Equalizer Tree Stands

How about posting that web page. Never heard of them.

excalibur43 05-04-2006 11:19 AM

The webpage is: www.equalizertreestands.com
Let me know what you think.

hardcorehunter 05-04-2006 12:02 PM

I tell you what, I am very impressed. They are sending me a DVD. They told me a 3 yr warranty on all metal but no warranty on plastic or rubber. I stated my concern of having the hand crank wheel snag in the woods or bust and they said thatthey have only had a few break. They can be replaced but not for free. $270 and if you want the the safety rail $310. They weigh 20#'s and they are all aluminum. Looks way quieter then any climber on the market and that leveling system with that hand crank is really something. I'd say go for it. I may have to get one too. I have a Summit Viper and as with all climbers I've seen there is noise in getting the cables set up. Doesn't look so with these. Thanks for sharing. Hell ,I only have around 20 deer stands, might as well get another. :D

excalibur43 05-04-2006 03:44 PM

I kind of thought the same way. I have a Summit Backpacker, but this stand looks pretty impressive. I may go ahead and give it a try.

SIDEWAYS 05-07-2006 06:05 PM

Excalibur, I bought one in Feb.I have tried it a couple of times in my backyardand am very impressed with the stand. It sets up quicker and quieter than my summit viper.
I also like theflexability to change the seat position, even while up in the stand.
I have not had the chance to use it under actual hunting conditions as our bow season ends in January.
My advice would be to email them and have them send you a free DVD.

hardcorehunter 05-07-2006 06:44 PM

Hey Sideways; sure would appreciate it if you could tell us how quiet and comfortable the stand is to sit in. Actually stand up and move around in it and see if it squeaks or has any undesirable traits. I have a DVD coming from them. Do the hand cranks seem durable?Thanks; only if you have the time.

excalibur43 05-08-2006 04:29 PM

Thanks for the input Sideways. I just received my DVD today. I think I may try one out this fall.

SIDEWAYS 05-08-2006 05:55 PM

Hardcore, the stand is very sturdy once in place and should be quiet but I cannot attest to that until I use it while hunting.
As far as comfort, I am not sure I would be comfortable falling asleep in this stand (I have done so in my viper)as you sit on top of the stand, not down in it. Sitting on top does make it easier to stand up for a shot.
I really would like to use it while actually hunting to get abetter perspective on the stand.
The hand cranks do appear durable and operated easily,I have not tried using them in extremly cold weather.
As always, a safety belt is needed (no otheroption)

hardcorehunter 05-09-2006 08:22 PM

Well I just got my DVD and watched it tonite. The best climber I have ever seen. My Summit Viper doesn't hold a candle to this stand. I am going to order one before this fall and I have a Summit Viper for sale. This Hunting net is great!! Thanks for sharing guys.:)

NavyDeerHunter 05-19-2006 10:42 AM

I'm about 10 days behind on this post, but will add my opinion. I purchased one of these stands last year, just in time to use it about half a dozen times before the season expired. I LOVE IT.
I can climb trees that I would not have otherwise been able to get into and it is much quieter than my API Grand Slam with those dang chains. The cranks seem sturdy enough to me, but the bottom one is a little akward to operate...until you get use to it. Sideways is right, it's not as comfortable as a stand that you sit down in. I can sit (and nap if need be) all day in my API, but can't last more than about 4 hours in this rig. Sitting up straight like that gets to my back. It's also very cool to be able to turn the seat around and face the tree if you want.
If you have more questions, let me know.

P.S. Good to see you again sideways. Happy hunting.

Craig

hardcorehunter 05-20-2006 05:47 AM

Hey, I notice in the DVD that they sent me that they offer a sit down in seat that looks similiar to my Summit viper. They also show that you can turn your upper platform off to the side I believe to make access to that bottom handle easier. I am very impressede with this standafter watching the DVD.I know what you mean..my viper is very comfortable. It is just a little noisy installing the cables.

SIDEWAYS 05-21-2006 02:59 PM

I was wondering where you were Navy :)
Navy was kind enough to meet with me and demonstrate his Equalizer treestand before I bought mine.
If I remember correctly he has hunted out of his, so he would be the man to give a better opinion on this stand.

SIDEWAYS 05-21-2006 03:02 PM

Hardcore, I remember seeing the same sit down type seat in the DVD, but could not see how it worked.
I will send them a request to see if they can show better details of the seat.

SIDEWAYS 05-22-2006 10:53 AM

Here is the reply to my email: [/align]The seat that you saw is called the Sling Seat. We do have them available for $22.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. Please call us at the number listed below to order the sling seat, as it is not on our online store.[/align]Best Regards,[/align]Gretchen
Equalizer Treestands
[/align]

You can get the phone number off of their website.

[/align]

oldelkhunter 05-22-2006 12:04 PM

I have the Buckshot centreshot treestand which is the same stand without the levelling feature..I also have a Summit Viper ..I would say the viper is easier to setup and has the better seat. I think stability wise the Centreshot/equalizer is unbeatable as it really gets into a tree. If the centreshot/equalizer had the Summit seat and stirrupsit would be unbeatable.

BowBuilder 05-24-2006 01:46 PM

I did hunt with the equalizer stand all last season...and I absolutley love it! It is a lot lighter than the old summit I used touse (it was iron) and it was a lot more comfortable to carry than the summit, because of the backpack styleshoulder straps. It was also slightly quieter to set up and use. The bar that encloses you an the top piece also makes you feel a little more secure in the stand while sitting. I bow hunt from mine, and did't have any problem with interference from this bar (I shoot sitting down) as long as I set the bottom and top pieces up correctly in the tree. However, this bar will limit you on very extreme down angle shots with a bow...but since I don't shoot at deer directly under my tree...it's not an issue.

The best thing about it was the sit-down climbing action. Between the lighter carry in, and the easy of climbing...I ended up seeing a lot more game because I wasn't sweatingfrom hiking in and climbing the tree. I didn't fully appreciate this until I took my old summit back out for a hunt to compare. The summit will never go out again, unless something happens to the equalizer.

The levelingfeature is also great, as I seem to frequently misjudge the tree diameter at the height I want to hunt from. WhenI used to hunt with the summit, I usually ended up going up and down a new tree a few times until I figured out the best angle to start at at the base of the tree.

I have found a few...very few...negatives with the equalizer. As mentioned, it does get a little uncomfortable after 4 hours or so. Also, the rubber band/straps that hold the seat on tend to stretch out over time. You can get replacements from equalizer...but it would be nice not to have to order new seat bands every other year or so. I might try to rig something up myself to correct that. The final thing was the plastic "hook" that is also used to anchor the seat down. I haven't had any problems with mine, but my brother broke his off. He blames it on the cold weather making the plastic brittle...he did break it on a very cold day...but it could have been operator error as well.

Ok,. sorry for the book. Overall, this is the best climbing stand I have ever used. I am very, very pleased with it.

Bigg~BirddVA 06-14-2006 02:21 PM

I looked at the on-line video and stopped it on the sling style seat they offer. It looks to be just a regular one like you can get off Ebay every day for $25 or so. I think with that style of seat you could settle in for a longer stay. I've always had problems with the fixed hard style seats after several hours.

NavyDeerHunter 06-19-2006 10:26 AM

I called them. $15.00 for the seat, but they only have it in black.

Rickmur 05-26-2007 05:38 PM

Refreshing this thead from last year. I saw this stand atthe outdoor Show in Harrisburg Pa back in Jan this year along with DavidM. We both liked it very much and I'm sorry I didn't get it there as they had a show special price on it. I will order this stand with the sling seat after the MemorialDay holiday. I'm tired of hauling my Summit Goliath in, just seems so awkward. A friend (Supermag45) bought this stand when they were still owned by Buckshot and loved it. Not as big as the Goliath butthis dibeteshas me slimming down.

herman 05-26-2007 07:31 PM

I got one with the sling seat last year and hunted with it.I have used a lot of different climbing stands over the years and this one is the best.I don't know if they have a little man,big man and etc.I am 5'10 and 160 lbs and it has plenty of room for me but useing the sling seat it may be tight for a very big man(0r ladie)
It carries very good and light,sets up as quit as any I have used.
Adjusting was very easy for me while climbing also.
I have a loc-on climber that they made years (don't think they make tree stands anymore if they do I haven't seen one in years)ago that adjusted when climbing but this one to me is a lot better.I have the viper (steel) and compareing weight when carrying this one feels like a feather.
I sure like mine.

redneck buck hunter 06-10-2007 09:45 PM

I had the stand when it was still owned by Buckshot and i absolutley love it. I havent owned very many but of them all this is my favorite. Very good product!

Rickmur 06-13-2007 08:45 AM

I received mine last week and wasgoing to try it outthis afteernoon but I wrenched my knee yesterday and won't be able to. I do think my Summit Goliath will be on the selling block though.

SIDEWAYS 06-23-2007 06:44 PM

Rick, I have no doubt you will loveyour Equalizer.
Hope the knee gets better soon!

Cougar Mag 06-24-2007 10:51 AM

I just bought one myself, should receive it late next week or early the week after. Hope your knee heals up Rick. Let us know how you like the stand, I am dying for mine to arrive and try it out.

Rickmur 06-27-2007 11:00 AM

Greg, I finally got it on a tree last weekend, even took it up to to a nose bleed height of 5 feet[8D]. Thats all I could muster with my knee but wanted to just try the leveling action. Seemed to work very well but will try it again this weekend with the weather getting cooler and will see if the knee allows me to go higher. The only thing I don't like and am trying to figure another way of changeing it is the crank on the standing plateform. It has to be on the inside for the stand to backpack and makes it hard (for me at least, might be my knee not bending so well) to crank it so you have to unscrew it and put it on the out side of the stand once I have it on the tree. They give you a round knob to do this but I see it as a pain to do in the dark. Another thing is I bought the sling seat and it has to be unfastened for the stands to backpack. Another thing you have to fool with in the dark. Might just use the other seat that comes with it for 3 and 4 hour hunts and the sling for longer stints.

Cougar Mag 06-28-2007 12:44 AM

Thanks for the insight Rick. It may sound dumb but I honestly bought mine just becaused it looked like a good climber, and less because of the cranks. I figured I'd still start out at a steep angle(at least on the platform). The ability to keep the stand level was just a bonus for me.

midsouth_hunter 06-29-2007 07:01 AM

Great ideas for a tree stand. The only problem that i can see with this stand could be any plastic parts involved with the stand and the durability of the cranks and the moving parts. I checked the web site and the price has gone up to $290 plys 24.95 shipping.

Cougar Mag 07-01-2007 06:38 PM

The only plastic parts are the crank handles and the heavy thick plastic tube or coating which encloses the steel cable. Much better than the coating used on other cables I have seen or tried. The cranks move easily and the cable takes up very easily. Padded backstraps are also included.

Rickmur 07-03-2007 08:09 AM

I went out last night being it was so cool and climbed to a height of about 20'. Was very easy to climb and bites the tree like no other stand I have used. Once you pull the 2 straps to lock the stang to the tree it is rock solid. I was able to attach the sling seat with only a little effort, maybe 2 minutes at best.The cranks I will leave like they are, the little knobs they give you bent while packing the stand so I will use the screws with a little locktite.I am very happy with this stand and will now sell my Goliath.

NavyDeerHunter 07-11-2007 07:40 AM

Rick, Have the made that sling seat any quieter? I ordered one last year and used it for about 5 minutes. It was covered with very rough material and made way too much noise for me. I called the company and they gladly took it back with no problems and also said they were going to look at a different material to use.
I ended up taking the sling seat off of my old API and using it on the Equalizer.
As for the plastic handles...I have use mine for about a season and a half now and not had a bit of problems with it.

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I went out last night being it was so cool and climbed to a height of about 20'. Was very easy to climb and bites the tree like no other stand I have used. Once you pull the 2 straps to lock the stang to the tree it is rock solid. I was able to attach the sling seat with only a little effort, maybe 2 minutes at best.The cranks I will leave like they are, the little knobs they give you bent while packing the stand so I will use the screws with a little locktite.I am very happy with this stand and will now sell my Goliath.

Rickmur 07-11-2007 08:41 PM

Rick, Have the made that sling seat any quieter?
I didn't notice any noise with it but it is very stiff and hard. I was all set to take the sling seat of of my Goliath but I just sold thatstand tonight in the classifieds here. I think I will buy the seat from Summit and try it. I would send the seat back but don't have the packageing anymore.

midsouth_hunter 07-12-2007 06:27 AM

I really like the concept for the stand. Received the DVD last week and seriously considering the purchase. Also considering the Summit Razor SS. Anybody have any experience with the Razor? I am just a little concerned with moving parts on my climber.

NavyDeerHunter 07-12-2007 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

I really like the concept for the stand. Received the DVD last week and seriously considering the purchase. Also considering the Summit Razor SS. Anybody have any experience with the Razor? I am just a little concerned with moving parts on my climber.
Your concern about moving parts on hunting gear is understood, but in this case not an issue. I hunt in the season and a half that I have used my Equalizer, I'll bet that I've climbed with it about 75 times and never had an issue. As with all my gear, I give it a good going over before the season starts and a quick check before each hunt.

Rickmur 07-28-2007 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Rick, Have the made that sling seat any quieter?
I didn't notice any noise with it but it is very stiff and hard. I was all set to take the sling seat of of my Goliath but I just sold thatstand tonight in the classifieds here. I think I will buy the seat from Summit and try it. I would send the seat back but don't have the packageing anymore.
I put a Summit sling seat on my stand and it makes a world of difference. It's much softer and flexable making backpacking it a no issue. I ordered the seat from Summit and it attaches differently than the older Summit seats. It has a speed attachment buckle so taking it off and folding it within the stand is no problem. Problem solved.

Idratherbeoutdoors 07-30-2007 12:46 PM

Rickmur, did you use the Surround Seat by Summit and did it fit the stand well?

Rickmur 07-30-2007 05:04 PM

No I used the sling seat, not the surround and it fits perfect.

vadeerkiller 07-30-2007 05:30 PM

Rickmur, when using the seat that comes with the stand. do your knees hit the front bar.

Rickmur 08-02-2007 07:39 PM

Your knees will hit if you have the top of the stand too low or in other words too close to the bottom section. If they hit raise the top higher on the tree to strecth out your legs. I am waiting on the foot rest to come and that willhelp move your knees out straighter also.Equalizer has the foot rests in stock but no mounting directions so they won't ship them till they get the instructions. How hard can it be to mount a foot rest? Ask DavidMil, they sent him one with his new stand order whenhe told them he would figure it out. He did say it wasn't cut and dry through:D.

Rickmur 08-03-2007 05:06 PM

Here's a link to some pics of the seat with the stand. Just click the thumb nail to enlarge.

http://imageevent.com/mdbohuntr/slingseat