Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Doctor Binoculars

Old 05-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default Doctor Binoculars

I am looking for a new pair of binoculars and came across these Doctor binos. The limited info I have found compare them with zeiss, swarovski, and leica. Just wondering if anyone owns a pair or has seen them.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Doctor Binoculars

Docter used to be called Carl Zeiss. This particular factory of Zeiss' (of which there were several at the time) ended on the eastern side of the Berlin wall at the begining ofd the Cold War. Consequently they had to start using a different name than Carl Zeiss. So they began to market thier optics under the CArl ZeissJena or just Jena name. Sometimes, when exported to the west, they were called Aus Jena (which I think means east jena). Jena was probably the leading optics manufacturer in the Communist world. Coatings, R&D, and tchnological advances seem to be a few years behind the western European Giants like Carl Zeiss, Swarovsky, and Leica/Leitz. Jena manufactured some of the all time great millitary and sporting binocs of the last half of the 20th century. In particular they were known for theDF 7x40 and the EDF 7x40 millitary binocs. Also they developed, what remains today, some of the finest porro prsm binocsthe world has ever seen. These are the Nobilem, and Nobilem Supers. Exquisite sporting binos but these were too expensive to make and as suchwere not made for too long
When the wall came down, Jena became Docter Optik. Now they sell their optics around the world. Quality is very high for the money involved. If I had my choice and money was no object, I would go with one of the big 3 (Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovsky.....and maybeNikon). But for around 500 bucks, you can get a pair of docter roof prism binocsin 8x42. These are tough, modern, waterproof and have excellent optics. And they are made in Germany. I use 2 docter rifle scopes. The optics are (in my opinion) superior to the optics of Leupold VX3 and Zeiss Conquest, which are the major scopes in the same price range.
You need to check out this website for some reviews on Docter binocs by a German optics guy. www.holgermerlitz.de/. I hope the have bought a pair of the docter optik 10x42 binocs beforew next deer season
marco
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info okcmco. I have purchased a pair and am very happy with them so far. I agree if I had a choice I would rather have one of the big 3, but these were more in my price range. I have friends that have leicas and that would be my first chioice. But I will have to save up a little more money for my next pair.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Have your friends with the high dollar optics to compare thiers with your docters. I think they will find very little difference in thier expensive binos and you mid priced ones.....even if they don't admit it
mco
PS Optolyth is another german brand that is not well known and is awfully good. I have a pair of Optolyth alpen 10x50 and they are every bit as good as Zeiss classics and the older SL swaros
mco
Old 02-16-2024, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Marina Foster
Docter Optics is a reputable German optics company known for producing high-quality binoculars, riflescopes, and other optical instruments. While they may not be as well-known as brands like Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica, Docter binoculars are highly regarded for their optical performance and precision engineering.
Here are some key points to consider about Docter binoculars:
  1. Optical Quality
  2. Durability
  3. Design and Ergonomics
  4. Price
You do know your cut and past posting is not helpful, don't pretend to know something when you don't know anything!
Old 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Spike

Hmm, very interesting