Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Doctor is in . . .

Old 01-02-2004, 09:09 PM

Default The Doctor is in . . .

Got me a hog tonight. I kind feel like I cheated because I have bow huning my ass off for them and I got this one with a rifle. I didn't see anything last night but a coyote who didn't offer a shot, but my dad saw 2 nice bucks where he was, so I told him I would video them for him. I sat all evening and saw squat. I hate blinds for the most part. IT was hot and made me claustrophobic. Only 3 small windows in the front, so I had to stop recording to make the shot. Yes, the doctor is in, I performed a radical traecheotomy @ 150 yards with Grandpa's ought six. There were 5 under the feeder and I picked one out. It was getting dark and she wouldn't turn, so I aimed about an inch below her snout and fired. She spun and dropped. I looked for a second one, but they scattered. They made all kinds of racket, but I didn't get another shot. I guess she weighed about 80 lbs, good eatin size. I brought her home and butchered her out back. Freezer is now overflowing. A big boar makes a nice trophy, until you have to gut one of those stinkin SOB's, and the meat is tough. an 80 lb sow is just right. I'll try and post a still from the video, but probably can't see much at that distance. Wwild hogs come in all shapes and sizes. Mostly by how "wild" they look. These all had long shaggy hair, grey and black, with a high ridged back(like a razorback) Most around here are more tame looking. short little legs and big fat belly.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Default RE: The Doctor is in . . .

Way to go Ol Throatshot
Old 01-02-2004, 09:21 PM

Where are you hunting? Bexar, or one of the surrounding counties? Not that it matters, damned hogs are everywhere.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:29 PM

Actually, our place is cut by the county line between Bexar and Medina. Most is in Medina, so I'm pretty sure it's Medina. I have a topo may and some arials but I have never been able to pinpont much but the old windmill. If you know Bexar County, mayne you knoww where Hwy 211 cuts from 16 to 471??It's a 7 mile stretch that used to be out in the middle of no where, but urban sprawl is creeping that way. I'll be rich someday, but damn, I like it out there. . . .
Old 01-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Another five years and you might as well be downtown! Well, 1604 and 90, at least. Yeah, I know Bexar, I live in SA.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats
I wish to hunt hogs at some point. There aint none around here and I aint got enough money to hunt anywhere else[:'(]
Oh well, someday
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 PM

I live out near Somerset. My dad lives in Hollywood Park, so if you love in SA, you know about the deer there. . .. depressing to go hide in the woods all weekend to come home to a trophy buck laying in your front yard. As war as Hogs go, to the guy in Ohio, they are as common as rats around here. He have too many out there, but my dad won't let me wipe some out. They eat fawns, run deer off from feeders and are a pain in the ass. But fun to shoot. But it is a low feeling to prepare all year and only hear a snort in the distance while the hogs run in and chase off all the deer.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Hollywood Park has a love/hate relationship with their deer. A couple of years back, I saw six bucks, laying on the Saint Augustine grass under a tree. Three tens, rangeing from 125 to 140, two eights, about 120, and a smaller six pointer a few feet away.
They are all argueing about trapping/sterilizing the herd to reduce numbers. City ordinance bans feeding the deer, but it is done anyway.
Hogs are everywhere, as soon as you get away from town. My brother lives in a subdivision out Highway 16, just shoret of Bandera county. They have the usual deed restrictions about discharging firearms. Homeowner's association makes an exception for hogs. If you can kill them safely, kill them! The assoc. even runs a trap line for them!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:46 AM

congrats. an 80 lb. gilt is fine eating.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Damn, I'd love to hunt hogs. Sounds like fun to me. I've heard that North Carolina is getting overrun with them and they arn't considered game animals so I'm wondering what the rules are for out of state hunters. hmmmmm

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.