Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 New or used ATV and which one? >

New or used ATV and which one?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New or used ATV and which one?

Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New or used ATV and which one?

Bbear, make sure you shop around, if you live close to another state check out stores in that state also.
For example I live in MD and am about 3 hrs from a store in WV.
The store in WV does not charge taxes to out of state customers, they issue a certificate of origin instead of a title.
This is a 5 % (MD tax)savings right off the bat, not to mention the same store does not charge a destination and setup fee and the MD store could not touch the WV store's base price of the 4 wheeler.
The savings are well worth the 6 hr round trip ride to pick up the bike.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others have said, Yamaha and Honda are the gold standards. My ATV is a Grizzly 660.

If manueverability is an issue, either get a 2WD or a selectable 4wd. I tested this at the dealership, and the bigger ATV's with selectable 4wd would out-turn the non-selectable 4WD's by 1/2 to 1 full machine width in a 180 degree turn. I didn't believe the salesman when he pointed that out, but after we pulled two machines out in the back lot for a demo, I was proven wrong.

I personally like the automatic transmissions. I have never had any problems getting power to the ground.

I also like liquid-cooled engines. A lot of what I do with my ATV, like spot spraying for example, is moving around very slowly with frequent stops. I've done it with air-cooled machines, but it isn't a fun experience. The engine runs hot and I had to wear some extra leg protection to protect me from the heat. Now I can just feel a little extra warmth, but my legs don't feel like they are going to burn completely up.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

SIDEWAYS, you must be talking about Romney. Very good folks there. We bought a few off of them over the years. Haven't found anyone that beats their prices.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Windwalker, actually i was talking about Ridersville Cycle in Berkley Springs.
I have heard good things about Romney, but never dealt with them.
Mike at Ridersville (Honda)has always treated me right.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bbear, check out the Bombardier Outlander 400. I have owned both Kawasaki and Yamaha from 3-wheelers to 4x4's. While shopping for a new 4x4 modela friend told me to check out the Outlander.Fortunately, one of our local dealerships where Ihave purchased Kawasaki's in the pastalso handles the Bombardier line. The dealer invited me and my family for a weekend in the mountains comparing the new 400and 800 models from Bombardier andKawasaki. Wealso had the opportunity to ride the Suzuzki King Quadowned by one of the customers. Well, there was no comparison! I was so impressed with the Bombardier Outlander 400 he never gotto take it back to the shop. Ride, balance, handling,performance and reliability second to none, and I do mean none. A complete packagewith a reasonable price. If Honda and Yamaha are the "Gold" standards, you're looking at pure "Platinum" with nothing standard aboutthis ride.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a 10 year old kawasaki and it still runs like a champ i wouldnt have anything but a kawasaki for japanese models and polaris for american my friend does have a honda and he loves it but i wouldnt go with it has been in the shop to much for me to depend on it
Old 03-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Honda Foreman or Rancher, hands down the best. These are used in agriculture extensively in my area, so the parts are readily available from NAPA or other Auto Parts stores. I don't know if that would be the case everwhere.

Father in law has a Polaris, nice 4X4, but it is just not as confortable and breaks down a lot for being the same year as my Hondas.

Don't know much about Bombardier.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:55 PM

I've had a Polaris Sportsman 500HO for 3 years and have thrown everything at it. I pull a 600 lb. piece of plow equipment all over and the thing has never given me a problem. I hear alot of negative about Polaris and scratch my head wondering. Honestly, I've given it hell and it has answered the challenge.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned two hondas that were totally reliable.My two yamahas were nearly as good.My friends polaris quads were too heavy,which caused them to sink and get stuck more often in muskeg and they required a great deal more maintenance than any of my quads.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I own 2 Polaris ATVs. One is 12 years old now and the other is 6 years old. Both have been totally trouble free. They are used and abused on the farm and forhunting. Have always run strong. Can't comment on other brands, because I don't have personal experience with them. Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.