Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trailer question

Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trailer question

I didn't know where else to ask this, so here goes.

For those of you who own travel trailers,I'm trying to pick one of three brands. Keystone, Nomad, and Sunny Brook. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these? Not sure which models I'm looking at yet, but it'll be around 25 to 29 feet, on the lighter side, with multiple beds (queen + bunks). Any suggestions? I'm also open to other brands, but for now, those are the three I liked.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Trailer question

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

I didn't know where else to ask this, so here goes.

For those of you who own travel trailers,I'm trying to pick one of three brands. Keystone, Nomad, and Sunny Brook. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these? Not sure which models I'm looking at yet, but it'll be around 25 to 29 feet, on the lighter side, with multiple beds (queen + bunks). Any suggestions? I'm also open to other brands, but for now, those are the three I liked.

Gallo, which ever one you pick, go buy construction and not by what looks good!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Mine is a1977 Intrepid and still going strong!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Reb,

There are so many choices out there. Funny thing is, every one of them can "prove" they're the best! I like yours. I'm gonna search for it, haven't seen that name pop up in my searches. Do you know who the manufacturer is? Sometimes they change names for no apparent reason.

Believe it or not, whatever one I get is gonna do double duty as a guest house!

Yeah, I'm a redneck, trapped in yuppie hell.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Gallo, I spent 30mins on search for Intrpid Travel Trailers and only found trailer over truck cab. I quess they quit making the tow type!
Try to find yourself a good used Airstream or Avalon travel trailer, they are the best made! About 5yrs ago I could have bought a 31' Tri Axle Airstream in very good shapefor $3,100, but it was to long to try and spot in the hunting camps. I bought the 1977 24'Intrepid in 1996 for $1,500 and all I have done is the electric brakes on all four and tires.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:04 AM

What you are hunting for is called a bunkhouse. They are great for families. I see that you are from Cali and I do not know what brands that they have there. You did say Sunny Brook and I believe that they may be made here in Indiana. So I am going to recommend a Jayco. They are a decent mid line trailer and both 5th wheels and travel trailers come in bunk house models. For ease of towing I would also recommend a 5th wheel, since it connects into the bed of your truck it makes for a smaller tow length from front bumber to back bumber of trailer. This also usually makes it fit into somewhat smaller spaces so that you could go with a somewhat longer unit. Also I have seen some bunkhouses that are set up in such a way that the bunks are actually in a small bedroom of their own with a table and an area that you can put a small television. This would be good for days when it is raining and everyone is stuck inside. Anyway like I said earlier I would Recommend that you look at the Jayco if they are out that way.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have almost every brand of trailer within 2 hours from my city. Jayco is also one of the ones I was looking at. I have noticed that there are a lot of trailers made in Indiana. The sales reps always point out that they are made by Amish in Indiana so the craftsmanship is supposed to be better. The bunkhouse types are exactly what I was looking at. I've got a large family and besides regular vacations, they sometimes accompany me on hunting trips. Thanks for your reply, I'll take another look at Jayco.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:00 PM

Yes there must be 20 to 30 different places up around Napanee that make trailers and hire amish workers. Jayco was started by an Amish family.

Large family Hmm. Then you may want to look into a brand called the Sportsman, Personally I do not like them as well as I do Jayco, actually alot less but they may have the bunk house you are in need of. I believe one of theirs that I looked at had two sets of bunks on both side and a kind of loft over the bunks I believe that it would sleep 6 children so if you have 3 or 4 then a couple could bring a friend. Camping goes easier if the kids have someone to occupy themselvs with besides mom, dad, grandma, grandpa. Not that I did not mind playing catch, badmitton, walks and awnsering all kinds of questions but there are times when I just want ot sit and watch the fire.

Good luck in your search.