Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

atv trailer question

Old 07-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default atv trailer question

I am buying a trailer for my atv and can't figure out what is better. I do alot of long distance driving and wan't to know if single or tandem axles are better. Also the trailers are metal grate bottombs, or should I go with wood. Right now it would be for one four wheeler but in the future it will carry two, or a atv and other equipmant. Any in put would be great. And any other thoughts you all may have.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: atv trailer question

It depends on how much weight you intend to carry.A single axle trailer with a 3500lb axle and 15" tires will more than likely carry more than you should ever require.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 16 footer that is 8 1/2 feet wide outside the wheels and I can haul 4 quads sidways on it. It is a tandem but my 18 footbassboat is on a single axel. There is a big differance in the way they pull.I will never own anothersingle axel if I can help it. The weight isn't an issue but the tandem dosen't sway like the singlewill.

If you ride in muddy areas the expanded metal floor is the way to go. When you wash your quad after a day of ridingall the mud and water just falls through the floor to the ground. The wood will rot eventually and it is a little heavyer than the metal.

SF
Old 07-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 35ft dual tandem , a 16 ft tandem, a 6.5x10ft and 5x8ft single wheel trailers. They all have their purposes, the 2 smaller trailers are used alot for transporting my 2 ATV's, Kubota RTV900,and 2 Polaris Rangers. The neat thing about the 5x8 is it is not to big for the ATV's to haul around. I just picked up the 6.5x10 to have a little more room.A Ranger take up every inch of the smaller trailer.But all of these pull very well loaded or unloaded. I would opt for a trailer that is a little bigger than you need at the moment. One can always find ways of filling them up on a hunting trip.
here's my smallest....

PS...I have treated wood floors on trailers, expanded metal will also work but allow dirt,mud ect to come up through it. Metal floor/checker plate is good and longlasting but gets quite slippery when wet.On my 2 small single whell trailers they are equipped with a tilting bed so driving on and off isnt a problem, no ramps are needed. my $.02

life is good.....doubleA
Old 07-24-2005, 09:09 PM

Bought mine for 500.00 new it is made out of 2 inch square tubing instead of angle. don't even know it is back there when towing.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:23 AM

I have a little 4X7 ft trailer my father made around 1962. It's got both coil and leaf springs and is made from angle iron. I believe he pulled the axle out of an old car (front end) and then machined hubs to take small wheels. I'm replacing the plywood floor today, just finishedpainting it and puttingnew lights on it. It'd sat in back of my shop for almost 20 years and the paint/wiring//floor was shot.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 2 place 3500 single axle trailer constructed with tube steel and 2x6 treated deck. Loaded with2 quads, quad trailer, gas and gear any decent sized tow vehicle (V8)it pulls very well with the 15" tires. I also have a tandem 18 ft flat deck also constructed with tube steel and 2x6 treated deck. Loaded with 4 quads, quad trailer, gas and gear pulls as well with the same tow vehicle.The biggest disadvantage to the tandem is ability to take it far into the bush or manveuring.

I agree buy a trailer that will suit now and future needs. If you may need a 2 place then buy it now vs later, as mentioned can never have to much space when embarking on a trip. I originally had a single place metal grate trailer, it was great for manveuring but when 2 bikes where needed space was a concern. To me it easier to spend a few extra in the first place then having to trade up!

As far as deck material I saw no advantage to the steel grated trailer, as I wash my bikes off the trailer and then hose or sweep off the deck of the trailer if needed. I seal my treated deck each year with some thompson clear sealant and GTG. My 2 place is 8 years old and my tandem is 4, for a place that sees moisture in the form of rain or snow I am very pleased with the returns of treated wood decks. I touch up the tube steelwhen ever requiredto prevent rust forming from the rocks and salt it sees each year.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:45 PM

When I was looking for a trailer to haul two atvs a few months ago, I was looking for one
with the expanded metal floor. I had a hard time finding one big enough for two atv's. When I did find one I was surprised how flexable the whole thing was. You could push
down on the corner and it would flex 5-6 inches. And the guy told me they had problems
with the expanded metal cracking, because of all the flexing. A wood floor adds a lot to
the structural integrity of the trailer. A treated lumber floor will last a long time, I have a trailer that is almost 20 years old, and the floor is still fine.A coat of Thompson sealer every few years will help.
As far as a tandom axle trailer, if all you are hauling is a couple of atvs, I don't think you will need one. If you don't have that much weight on them they can ride rough and bounce a lot, just depends on how stiff the springs or torsion bars are.