Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Steiner Binocs

Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Spike

Default Steiner Binocs

Anyone have any experiences with Steiner Binocs. Just got a pair of the new Steiner Predators 10x40 and they are really nice. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Steiner Binocs

i also have a pair of the predators. mine are the 8 power though. these are the clearest bino's i have ever owned. what i like is the light filtering coating. this coating does not do to much for winter hunting but for spring,summer and fall. it makes a big differance. it really makes the animals fur stand out. where i can really see a big differance is when we are hunting woodchucks and coyotes in the summer months.scaning the the fields, the chucks stand right out. there have been times that i have spoted just an ear in the grass. i just don't think you could go wrong, their quality is great. oh ya i forgot to mention did you notice that the other big names arepushing the tinted glass now. steiner was the first to use differanttints for differant uses.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

i've got the 9x40 bighorns & they rock. I recently took them out to Wyoming and they made glassing a breeze...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my 2 cents. The 10X42 Predators are nice. But compare them side by side to any another binocular, of the same price with a completely open mind. Compare them in low light conditions, look for crispness to the edges of the glass, as a mono piece, as well as brightness. The Steiners won't lookquite as good. When buying Steiners, you're buying the name, because they're toward the bottom of the list in optical quality, when compared to another binocular in the same price range. Of course, the differences are only noticeable when your compare it side by side with other manufacturers. I really do like the ruggedness of the binocular though. And the good feel it has in the hand.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have gone through a ton of binocular's.... I have to say that the Steiners are my second choice... I have a pair of wind rivers (leupolds) which are my first... And I don't even like Leupold! Anyway, I think the Steiners are very durable and more ergonomic than any other pair, but I too agree that the glass quality is somewhat disappointing for something of that price... I have yet to look at the Sightrons, they are pretty inexpensive and I want to see how they look.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I received a pair of Steiner Merlin's in 8x42 and love them. The only negative is their 10 year warranty.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:53 PM

Steiner bnoc are excellent. I was blown away by the Perrigrine 10x42 model. Among the very best I have ever looked through. Steiner seems to be a winner in the bang for the buck category. Check out Midway and see some reviews www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe.browse
Click on the stars and you will see some user reviews.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM

Hey Newguy. The sightron SII are pretty impressive for the money. The SIII's are really nice roofs and they are quite a bit more expensive. But the SII 12x50 won the best buy in outdoor life's 2003 shootout. Here is the link
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/g...s-0020,00.html