Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Why are Randall Made knives so expensive? >

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Old 12-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

ORIGINAL: Colonel

Here's why I have Randall knives. A few years ago (1968) just after entering the Army, I bought a Randall knife. At the time, Randall was a fairly small company, with a very big reputation for quality, especially among those of us who may need to do more than skin a deer. I carried mine through Infantry basic training, Airborne, Ranger and SFOC. I carried it in RVN and,by the timeI came home, the micarta handle had come a little loose, and the leather sheath was showing signs of wear. I sent the knife to Randall, asking him to repair the handle, fully expecting to pay for the repair. Not only did he replace the micarta with new, he refinished the knife to new condition and sent me a new sheath. I carried that knife for another 20 years, until I gave it to my son on the day I pinned his Ranger tab on him. He will some day give it to his son. That's why I love Randall knives.

Gerry
Gerry what model are you talking about.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad gave me a Randall model 25 with a leather handle in 1970 and it’s the only knife I use hunting or packing. In September I ordered a model 19 Bushmaster with a stag handle that I have always wanted. I’ll have plenty of time to save up because the estimated shipping date is January 2010.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:16 AM

The currently available knife identical to the one I carried can be found here: http://www.randallknives.com/military.asp

This is the one:
B. Model 15 "Airman" -- 5 ½" blade of 1/4" stock. Top cutting edge sharpened. 4 ½" Black Micarta handle. (Name etching, name plate, stainless steel blade, sawteeth, forward curved hilt and nickel silver hilt are available at additional charge.) Construction same as Model 14 except shorter blade. Comes with standard Black Micarta finger grip handle. (Green micarta handle material available upon request.) Single finger grip and Border Patrol shapes available at additional charge. Designed especially for air crew survival and combat purposes in cooperation with U.S. Marine Corps Equipment Board. (Wt. 10 oz.)
Price: $300 - (5 1/2")

Gerry
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Spike

I ordered 2 today. A model 25 and a model 3. Going to put the 25 away in the safe and use the 3 for hunting. I would get fired up about getting new things, but the 4.5 year wait puts that fire out. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having them. I ordered the model 3 with Black/Red Micarta (I saw one of these on Ebay and really like it), 5 inch carbon blade, wrist thong, nickel/silver hilt, compass, and my name etched in it. Well at least I have a long time to pay the bill. Thanks for turning me onto these.

I'm working on getting my father to order some knives with me. I would like to get matching knives for him, my son, my wives son, and myself. I think it would be neat to have knives of this caliber in a matched set like that.

Well, take care and have a good new year.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Gerry: Great knife. I have an Airman (with a Border Patrol Handle) but, unlike yours, its a safe queen.

My Randall user id the Model 8 Bird & Trout knife.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckhtr77

I ordered 2 today. A model 25 and a model 3. Going to put the 25 away in the safe and use the 3 for hunting. I would get fired up about getting new things, but the 4.5 year wait puts that fire out. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having them. I ordered the model 3 with Black/Red Micarta (I saw one of these on Ebay and really like it), 5 inch carbon blade, wrist thong, nickel/silver hilt, compass, and my name etched in it. Well at least I have a long time to pay the bill. Thanks for turning me onto these.

I'm working on getting my father to order some knives with me. I would like to get matching knives for him, my son, my wives son, and myself. I think it would be neat to have knives of this caliber in a matched set like that.

Well, take care and have a good new year.
You can getsome selected modelsright away (for a premium price) at http://www.agrussell.com/knives/handmade/randall_made_knives.html

Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 AM

I was interested in buying one, but the nearly 5 year wait doesn't play into my personality. I'm going to keep looking for a knife of that caliber that I can pick up in a shorter time frame. Any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: porknbeans

I was interested in buying one, but the nearly 5 year wait doesn't play into my personality. I'm going to keep looking for a knife of that caliber that I can pick up in a shorter time frame. Any suggestions?
Sure ebay sells them all the time you pay a premium usually but if you take your time you can do pretty well. Getting the knife 5 years early is worth the 15-20% uppage. If you dont mind slightly used or find a motivated seller you can do better.
http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/randall_Knives-Swords-Blades_W0QQfclZ3QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ1401
Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

porknbeans, check out Al Mar knives. Quality and you can pick one up on eBay,
Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been watching ebay for Randall, but I'm not ready to pay that much just to have one now. I will also check into the Al Mar knives as well as some others that were mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.