HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Why are Randall Made knives so expensive? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/123492-why-randall-made-knives-so-expensive.html)

okcmco 12-02-2005 08:40 PM

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Does nayone have experience with Randall knives. they seem to be more expensive than most major knives. Are they hand made? Can they really be that good?
okcmco

Robertesq1 12-03-2005 08:41 PM

RE: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

I have three. They are hand made, have the finest custom craftmanship are well-balanced and tough as nails. It is no mistake that many many of the most experienced outdoorsmen carry a Randall. You won't be sorry. The wait for one is 4 years from Randall or you can pay a premeum and buy on ebay. But there's nothing like handling one.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 11:56 AM

I seen a hand madeknife at Smoky Mountain Knife
that was made from a meteor, $999.99.

kinny 12-04-2005 01:15 PM

Could someone explain the rational for spending that much on a hunting knife. I wouldn't spend $50 on a kitchen knife that I might use 3-4 times per week, so I can't see the justification for spending $400 on a knife I might use once or twice per year. I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range... "To each his own", and you all have the right to spend your money the way you wish but I am just wondering.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: kinny

Could someone explain the rational for spending that much on a hunting knife. I wouldn't spend $50 on a kitchen knife that I might use 3-4 times per week, so I can't see the justification for spending $400 on a knife I might use once or twice per year. I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range... "To each his own", and you all have the right to spend your money the way you wish but I am just wondering.

10-4, good buddy!

St.Barnard 12-04-2005 01:40 PM

A good Buck, Gerber, or even a Case, with a good edge on it is all you need.

dog1 12-04-2005 02:48 PM

Have to agree with St. Barnard, but will carry it a step further. I have a good friend that buys $100.00 + turkey calls, I buy $15.00 calls and kill as many turkeys as him, he buys $1200.00 turkey guns, I buy $300 to $400.00, same results. In most cases, the old saying applies, you make more, you spend more.

dog1

uncle matt 12-04-2005 03:05 PM

kinny sez......

I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range...
Somehow I think that the folks with Randall knives already have those types of things. Eh?

I will tell you what I believe to be the 3 most important things you will ever need to know about knives for any purpose. In order of importance.

1. SHARP!

2. Well constructed.

3. Able to hold an edge.

Rebel Hog 12-04-2005 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

kinny sez......

I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range...
Somehow I think that the folks with Randall knives already have those types of things. Eh?

I will tell you what I believe to be the 3 most important things you will ever need to know about knives for any purpose. In order of importance.

1. SHARP!

2. Well constructed.

3. Able to hold an edge.

Yeah! Like a Boker Skining Knife or a CutCo Hunting knife!
I have been using a CutCo for almost36yrs, bought in 1970.

okcmco 12-04-2005 07:27 PM

Well don't get me wrong fellas. I love a good knife. In fact I have a collection of some expensive knives. I just noticed that new randall seem to be from 150-$400. And although Randall has been in bis for decades and they sell alot of pieces, there are nearly ZERO used randalls on the market And those you do find go for almost as much as the new ones.
I wasn't really asking how one would justify buying a randall or if anything else would do just as good. My main knife is a Frost mora made in sweeden. Plastic handle, plastic sheath, adn 10 bucks.
But if some of you have a Randall or have handled one or seen one, what is it about the Randalls that made you part with that kind of jack (or wish you could part with that kind) for one
okcmco