Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Nikon monarchs

Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Nikon monarchs

I just bought a pair of nikon monarchs I realy seem to like them. My question is..they are suppose to be fogproof. When I blow my breath on the lens it seems to fog up, although it clears rather quickly. Is this normal or did I get a bad pair??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Nikon monarchs

I believe fogproof pertains to internal fogging. Like if moisture gets inside the the tubes, it can evaporate and the water vapour can cause the internal surfaces of the glass to fog.
Bushnell has a coating called rainguard that they use on thier scopes ans binoculars. This makes water bead up on the glass and significantly reduces external fogging such as what you were talking about.
okcmco
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 AM

okcmco os correct. I have the same pair in 10X50. There great, buy the out side lens does fog up on rare ocasions only.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your Nikons are working correctly. Any pair of binoculars can fog up on the outside. Even a $1,600 pair of Swarovski binoculars will fog up on the outside, when you breath heavy on them. Somemay bead more than others, depending on their coating. Optics being "fogproof" means the inside of the glass, and not outside. It's a big misonception made by a lot of people. I also have a pair of Nikon Monarch's. I think they are the best pair for the money, out there.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

The fogging question has been answered by others.

I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 binoculars this year and employed them on my Thanksgiving week deer hunt. While they were not vital to my hunting, I was very well pleased with their crisp images and ease of operation. The focusing mechanism is very positive and easy to use.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 PM

A solution to the fogging on the outside of the lenses is a product called Kleer Vu. It was recommended to me by a technician at Leupold. This stuff works!! Coat the outer lense surfaces of your scope/bino's, and it will not fog - period! Down here on the coast, we get some wacky weather sometimes, and alot of fog - which plays havoc with the scope lenses (I missed my opportunity at a nice buck because of this). A small bottle of the stuff will last for years. I highly recommend it for hunting in the rain - even if you have scope covers.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM

If you carry them in a bino pocket...ie warm inner area, and take them out
in a "colder" environment they will also fog. It's funny, when breathing I try
and "steer" my breath to the side. Nikon makes some great stuff. Just picked
up the Monarch Lazer 800. Great product and I'm sure it'll be in the field for many years.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 AM

I was checking out the 8x42 and 10x42 binocs this weekend down at Simmons and was pretty impressed by them. How well do they perform ad dusk and dawn? I've got a pair of the compact Pentax binocs that I use for bowhunting but want something with better light gathering performance when I'm gun hunting. Now that my Pentax are in need of repairs (seeing double images) because of a minor bump I'm also concerned about durability. Are the Monarchs as tough as they feel like? It's one thing to have a $50 pair from Walmart mess up on you but for $300 I'd expect withstand at least some abuse.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okcmco

I believe fogproof pertains to internal fogging. Like if moisture gets inside the the tubes, it can evaporate and the water vapour can cause the internal surfaces of the glass to fog.
Bushnell has a coating called rainguard that they use on thier scopes ans binoculars. This makes water bead up on the glass and significantly reduces external fogging such as what you were talking about.
okcmco
That's one of the main reasons I went to the 8X32 Bushnell Legends, their "RainGuard" lens coating as well as being waterproof. Nikon also makes some great glass. The European Models are way over priced in my opinon. When comparing them, the Bushnell Legends held their ground in the optic department!! Plus being almost $1,000.00 cheaper.