Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Internal Frame Backpack for elk >

Internal Frame Backpack for elk

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Internal Frame Backpack for elk

Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Internal Frame Backpack for elk

I was just wondering what is the best internal frame pack that is big enough to pack out elk quarters?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Internal Frame Backpack for elk

Kifaru is very good, if you have that kind of money to spend on a backpack.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.badlandspacks.com

Check out their warranty. As long as it says Badlands on it you can drive over it with your truck and they'll fix it free forever.

I have the 2200 model and it's really nice. I love all the pockets and it has a ton of room plus a special orange nylon piece designed specifially to carry a quarter. Very well built.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Hey there,
You may want to check out sportsmansguide.com and look at thier own brand -guide gear.I have a "meidum" sized internal guide gear bag that i use for hunting . It is great quality. I paid $40 for it and it has been very comfortable and ruggid.
Good luck
Nathan
www.sportsmansguide.com

Old 12-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Power:

Can you supply more details on this pack? What is the fold-away orange "meat rack" that is mentioned at the Badlands web site with reference to this pack? What kind of quarters are you talking about carrying in this pack -- elk quarters? Any additional details you can provide will be welcome.

I am looking for a pack for a planned cow elk hunt in 2006. I have backpacks designed for backpacking but I'm looking to get a pack that is well suited to carrying out the hoped for elk meat. Just dropping elk meat -- even in canvas meat bags -- into a Kelty nylon pack sack on an external frame backpack doesn't seem like the appropriate solution.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a zippered pouch at the bottom of the pack that the flap is stored in. It's heavy nylon and very strong and has 2 straps and buckles that snap to the top of the pack once you've loaded your quarter in it. It seems strong enough and big enough for an elk quarter but I haven't packed one with it myself. I do have friends that have the same pack that have though so I know it'll work for that. It's an internal frame pack with 2 aluminum bars inside that give it support. Very comfortable and rugged and the best warranty I've seen. I love mine and it's not big or bulky. If you wanted to use it for more than day hunting you might look at their larger models. I could probably use mine for an over night pack but it's not big enough to carry more than a couple days worth of gear. If you want I can take a few pictures of mine to show you.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Power:

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the offer of the picture, but you don't need to do that. My interest in it is for packing elk meat, not carrying camping gear. If it doubled for this purpose, that would be fine. But I have no problem using my other packs to pack camping gear in and using the Badlands pack soley as a day pack/meat pack. On more consideration, I don't think I want to carry my camping gear in the same pack bag that I will carry my elk meat in!

It sounds like a good pack. Good to hear your of your friends's experience.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:48 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I would recommend Rocky Mountain Pack Systems. I've been using them for years. They're made by elk hunters for elk hunters. The quality and comfort is OUTSTANDING!

http://www.rmarchery.com/index.asp?spage=search&products=on&tid=223 451&rpp=12&prodwherestr=desc1+like+%27%25% 5B%5Bsearchstr%5D%5D%25%27+order+by+name&searc hstr=Back