Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Fourwheelers

Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Fourwheelers

Ok.Im looking at getting a new fourwheeler but Im not sure what to get.I know hondas are quality and then people are talking about ground clearance.Polaris is good and the kawasaki won atv of the year. I dont know what to get.I want something with a direct drive. I dont care if its auto or manual. Something fourwheel drive and some power. What do you think?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fourwheelers

What do mean by direct drive?Polaris is the most complicated and because of that they are the heaviest and require the most maintenance.Honda has the reputation for the most reliable.I personally do not like belt drives but still prefer an automatic so I own a honda rubicon with the hydrostatic transmission that can also be shifted manually.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:34 PM

Depends on who pays the most for advertising is who get's ATV of the year.
Where you live and whats kind of riding you plan on makes the bigest factor
I dont agree withstubblejumper's opinion.
polaris had a problem with the sportsman so all the Honda guy's started flapping thier lips .Mouthing off to the TOP DOG to make up for thier lack of technology.
The TOP DOG'S
suzuki has theKQ
Artic cat has the H-1
kawasaki has the BRUTE
Bombardier hasTHE BOMB
Polaris has the SP800(actually 760)
Yamaha has the Grizz.
Honda has the Rincon(thats a joke) they should have stuck with the ruby and put IRS or a locker on it

Honda makes a good bike(trouble free,,,I DONT THINK SO)they all have problems, honda as much as any others.
What you will find with this thread is alot of brand Bashing,,DONT LISTEN Go see for yourself
And also dont fall into the get the biggest one there is

Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Im in the same position, Im wanting to get a new four wheeler, and want to get a 4x4. I have a Honda Rancher, and have never had a seconds trouble out of it in 5 years, nor did I have any trouble with the one I had before it or my dads, all Hondas. Im thinking about a new Rancher, or Rubicon, but I also like the idea of getting a camo, atv, no reason except looks, silly I know. Ive heard that Honda is offering the Rincon in camo this next year, but I dont like the Rincon at all. I looked at a Polaris the other day, and it is definitely the best looking atv Ive ever looked at, and it fits all the qualities im looking for, except for all Ive experienced and heard about dependability with them, My family bought 4 different Polaris atvs and all were complete junk within 3 years, each with different problems, so Im scared of that. I dont know much about Yamaha atvs, but they seem to have some nice models, and dont care much for any of the Kawasaki or Suzuki models. I know nothing about Artic Cat atvs, either, and would like everyones advice also. How are the belt drive trannys for durability? I dont like the idea of it, but almost all the brands out there are going to some type of them. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honda makes a good bike(trouble free,,,I DONT THINK SO)they all have problems, honda as much as any others.
Really the following quotes do not support your statement.

I have a Honda Rancher, and have never had a seconds trouble out of it in 5 years, nor did I have any trouble with the one I had before it or my dads, all Hondas.
My family bought 4 different Polaris atvs and all were complete junk within 3 years, each with different problems, so Im scared of that.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 PM

The Honda's I have owned and the others I have been around have been A WHOLE LOT less trouble than the Kawie/Zuki, Polaris, Artic Cat quads that friends and clubmembers have had. The only other entire line that I have seen that have been comparable too the Hondas that I can see is Yamaha. The only Honda I have seen that I borderline hate is the Rincon of a best buddy. I just am not impressed with it. It's more like a techno wonder machine than a gutsy, tough hunting tool. One ride on it and you can just feel the "gizmo/gadgetry" of it vs the anvil like build of my ol 300 4x4 Fourtrax.

Yamies or Hondas ONLY for my dollar!
RA
Old 10-16-2005, 11:45 PM

Honda is your best bet. I think by direct drive you mean no belt??
Honda brother is the one you want!!!!!!!
I have kawasaki and honda and the honda is FAR less trouble than the kawasaki!!!
I have rode all and have been around them all and if i were buying another atv i would buy honda!

I am presently looking into a side by side and honda has none. I am considering the rhino and even had a thought of a ranger. but since honda doesnt make one yet i may just wait!
But the rhino is leading if i do!
The mule would if they were not such a joke in the power and braking area!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 PM

do yall know when Hondas rep realy got good is back in the early days 1960's 70's suzuki yamaha and kawasaki's were all two stroke and honda was 4stroke and lasted years longer! Now they are all 4's just buy japanese and you will be just fine! as far as ground clearence what a inch or two unless yoy are going over large rocks stumps or the sort. all atv's will go places a jeep wont.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Spike

I have Honda Rancher 350 4x4, love it, it never let me down.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Polaris is the most complicated and because of that they are the heaviest and require the most maintenance.
Oh really?

I've rode the Yamaha Grizzly, Kawasaki Brute force, Honda Rancher, and guess what....I'll take my Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. over them all!! Best riding machine of the bunch, bar none!! They have the best automatic transmission system of the bunch, as well as the suspension. All the others feel very top heavy, and ride that way as well. You can't beat their AWD (all wheel drive) system either. Most problems with their belt drive comes from people being in the wrong gear range!!
You must be in Low range when pulling anything heavy or when operating under 7 mph. If in high range, while doing either, you'll burn up the belt!!!
So what ends up is people bad mouthing Polaris because they are in the wrong gear range then gunning the machine. Sosomething has to break, and I rather have it be a belt then the actual tranny. Some peole have no brains when riding a machine properly. And if you ride in water deeper than the crankcase, you must pull that small plug at the bottom of the transfer case and drain out the wateror it'll do damage to the tranny.
So I going to say this, most problems appear to be the person operating the machine. Again, I'll stand by Polaris over the rest.