Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

best boots in the cold

Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM

Default best boots in the cold

hey guys i need boots for the cold i hunt in the poconoes and my feet always get cold even with 2 pairs of socks on need them to be water proff too because of the snow up there...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default RE: best boots in the cold

I just bought a pair of Side-Zip bootsfrom Sportsman Guide.
15" high ,weight 37oz, 1000 grain thinsulate and waterproof
price is $ 79.97.
These should keep your feet warm.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 PM

Look for boots with Gore-Tex because those can keep warmth in and cold out (and they're waterproof like you'd not believe it). I got mine at http://www.shoebuy.com/hunting-boots.htm. Their selection is good and shipping is free. Prices aren't bad either and they have most of the good brands.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off are your feet wet form the boots weeping(meaning outside moisture getting in) or is it due to your feet sweating? If the later the best goretex boots money can buy will never keep your feet dry alone! If your feet sweat buy some polyproplene sock liners(moisture wicking)and top them with good quality merino wool socks...both will go a long way in adding pleasure/warmth to your day. Anything cotton will end your day in hurry when they become damp, so x these from your hunting attire!

For boots I agree Gortex lined boots are the way to go, this will stop moisture entering from the outside. The amount of insulation is really dependant on use and your feet. If you have sweaty feet it is counter productive to go with a higher gram thinsulate boot for walking at least. I am in this group and have found the combination of a good quality gortex boot and the socks I mentioned coupled witha 600 - 800 gram of thinsulateboot is sufficent and in fact warmer. If you stand hunt then changing to a heavier boot or buying some Artic Sheild Boot Blankets is a good idea for when on stand. Also when buying boots make sure you have wiggle room & don't tie them up tight, loosen the laces when you plan to sit for an extended period.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best foot warming method I have found are boot blankets. I prefer the Icebreaker models to the Artic Shield product. You can get them at Cabelas. Coincidentally I used them up at Promised Land State Park last rifle season and my feet were entirely warm and toasty. Cost is about $45.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Spike

I have the same problem. Thanks for the info.........
Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 AM

it doesn't matter bro, spend 5 bucks to 200000 bucks on a pair of boots with 999999 thenselate and 5 inch of thick cotton laced inside, your toes are still going to get cold. I've been there done that and have the pic. I worn the "best" boots with literally 4 pair of socks and my feet still froze, the best thing is to just deal with the pain.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Mickey Mouse boots. They are military boots that you can get from Sunnys or Sportsmans Guide. They are not to good for hiking but for sitting in a stand you cant beat them. Buy them 1 size larger than normal to keep the air flow in the boots and wear a wicking under sock and wool over sock.You will never have cold feet again.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Rocky Bear Claw 1000 gram Thinsulate boots for extreme cold my feet have never been cold when wearing them
Old 10-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a good pair of Pak boots.

Quick Reply: best boots in the cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.