Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

hunting knives...?

Old 10-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting knives...?

I used to swear by buck but lately they just don't seem to be as good as they once were
I now use a cutco they are far an away better than any buck I ever used

Old 10-04-2005, 11:12 PM

I like the orange handle of my Cutco. Just another way for this careless guy to avoid losing it or stepping on it. I have no idea if the blade is "the best" or not, but it seems to be sharp and the edge lasts a long time. I'm not a knife guy, but it seems to be a pretty good knife.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Dukebh40

does anyone have a recommendations for hunting knives. ill be using it for squirrel and deer. i was thinking either gerber or buck but not sure if i want a folding or a guthook or w/e. i dont know any ideas...?

Thanks
Frankly, Duke, for what you're talking about literally any sharp knife will do. I have a nice Cutco knife which I use for moose - you need a larger knife for moose and you need one that eitehr holds an edge very well or is easy to sharpen because there's a lot of moose hide to cut through and it really dulls a knife.

But for deer, I use the $5 folding knives you see on the counters of hardware stores.They usually have like 2 inchblades.I usually only clean a couple of deer per year. These knives come pretty sharp and can do the job easy. I just buy a new one every year and keep the best old one on hand as back up. Idon't worry about losing, damaging or sharpening them. The old ones end up scattered around in the boat, tackle box, tool box, kitchen junk drawer, etc. just mho, of course, but it works.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I love the Marbles knives. Very high quality, but not really better than many of those listed here already. It is just that I am a Michigander and Marbles has always been associated with Michigan. http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still have my old buck from the 60's.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several older Buck Knives, Gerber's andCase. I have a couple of Cold Steel's plus Schrades.Granted this isnot a knife for Treerats the Buck 103 Skinner is a excellent skinner for larger game. It holds a great edge.Now if they've changed the steel over the years I don't know. I would say mine's from the early 70's. I used to like the Gerber's. What soured me when I saw some Gerber's Made in China.There won't be anymore of them for me.For small game I like my Case XX Trapper.
I should have bought a couple of the Buck Zippers w/ the rubberized handle.BassPro had them for 29.99 at their Whitetail Classic.On Buck's site they are 88.00.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Watch out for some Buck Knives bought at Bass Pro. My hunting partner bought one last week and when he got home, it said made in China. He made a trip back to Bass Pro in Orlando and got his money back. It turnedout to be an expensive Knife with the gas he spent, but he said it was worth it to let them have a piece of his mind!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Watch out for some Buck Knives bought at Bass Pro. My hunting partner bought one last week and when he got home, it said made in China. He made a trip back to Bass Pro in Orlando and got his money back. It turnedout to be an expensive Knife with the gas he spent, but he said it was worth it to let them have a piece of his mind!
Thanks RH,I didn't pay attention where those Buck Zippers were made.I put a couple in my basket.Then I decided I have enough knives and put them back.Funny the Gerber's I saw made in China were at the same BassPro in Orlando.It's hard to believe company's with a good reputation would lower their standards making them in China.Oh the power of the Almighty dollar.I can assure you, I'll look before I buy anymore.When you see the name Buck, Case or Gerber you assume it's the same that they've been making for decades Made in the USA.Buck's been in the Knife business since 1902.I appreciate the heads up.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Frank, I'm going to Sevierville, TN next week to Smoky Mountain Knife Co.. Man I was there in June and bought 6 knives. This time I am going to see if they have the knife that JamesB mentioned. Will let you know.

Hey JamesB can you give me the name of the knife we talked about before?
The one that I posted the picture of for everyone could see what you were
talking about. Can't find the picture on the forum! Mybrain isgetting to
old to remember.

James, was it Grohmann?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Buck 110 Folding Hunter for quite a few years and really like it. Great size for carrying but plenty big to get a good gut job. I have never used a gut hook personally so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Quick Reply: hunting knives...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.