HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   hunting knives...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/114618-hunting-knives.html)

Dukebh40 09-28-2005 09:09 AM

hunting knives...?

does anyone have a recommendations for hunting knives. ill be using it for squirrel and deer. i was thinking either gerber or buck but not sure if i want a folding or a guthook or w/e. i dont know any ideas...?

Thanks

bowhuntermws1981 09-28-2005 06:28 PM

RE: hunting knives...?

I have a folding Buck knife that I've used for several years and it has never let me down, they also seem to be the easiest to sharpen for some reason. Last year I bought a Smith & Wesson knife with a guthook on it. The knife looked real nice, and the guthook was a great feature but that was about all that I liked about it. I do find however, at some point you have to cut the meat off the bones, and for this I like to have more than just one knife.

North Texan 09-29-2005 10:57 PM

I like Buck knives about as good as any. Most take a little longer to sharpen, but they also hold an edge longer.

Jack Ryan 09-30-2005 01:44 AM

Leatherman for general deer hunting and all around use.

I like a 4 inch Rapala fillet knife for skinning, gutting and butchering anything from squirrels to deer. Cut saw teeth in to the back side of it and you really don't even need the Leatherman 99.9% of the time.

UThunter 09-30-2005 02:35 AM

I use a gerber fixed blade that is wonderful to me...a nice rubberizzed grip that does not slip when wet. ie. blood from deer.

trailer 09-30-2005 04:21 AM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I like Buck knives about as good as any. Most take a little longer to sharpen, but they also hold an edge longer.
Ditto on this one ..

SPIKEHORN11 09-30-2005 05:25 AM

Take a look at the Camullus line. I have used a floder from them for years now. I believe Buckmaster,most Remington and some Cold Steel knives are made by Camillus.

bow357 09-30-2005 11:09 AM

Gerber or case

okcmco 10-02-2005 08:08 PM

I have to admit to being a collector. I have about 100 knives from well know companies like Western, SOG, Gerber, Buck, Linder, Cold Steel and many custom knives.
BUT!! I use a very inexpensive knife for most outdoor chores, including hunting. This is the Mora knife made in scandanavia (sweeden I think). It is made of very good stainless with a plastic handle and platic sheath. You can get them from sportsmans guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) for a paltry 10 bucks. I have 3. They come really sharp from the factory and hold an edge well while being easy to sharpen. The size and weight is perfect for hunting and camping. Look, if you need to chop something, use a tomahawk or small hatchet. You will finish alot quicker.
At 10 bucks, you can buy one and if you dion't like it for hunting, put it in you tackle box. But you will love it. However, if you want something cool and showy at deer camp (and I completely understand if you do, believe me), stick with SOG, Cold Steel, Gerber, Buck and Puma.
okcmco

XTP 10-02-2005 08:32 PM

askin this is like askin what is the best deer round !! LOL...I have also used many different brands of knives andwill not go hunting without a good steel on my hip.my current favorite is one made by Western....easy to sharpen,rubberized handle for grip/comfort,rides nice on the belt and just plain feels right.Only complaint is it does not seem to hold an edge as long as some of my other knives but this is a minor thing as it will certainly do any job presented to it. I also own knives made by Kershaw,Buck,Gerber,and Schrade. My advice would be a good quality(doesn't need to be stupidly expensive....just good) knife made by a reputable company with a 4" (+/- 1") drop point blade.No serations and no gut hook, I have used both and still prefer a straight blade.anyway...just my 2 cents....good luck.