Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear >

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Old 09-08-2005, 05:11 PM

Default considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Hi all,

Long time reader, with only a few posts under my belt, but wanted to try and gather some consumer opinions on bow hunting gear. I'm thinking about getting into it for next year's season (kinda too late to get practice in and set up for this year).

I don't know anything about what features to look for, manufacturers to consider/avoid, add-ons are 'must haves', and what aspects are dependent upon myself (body type, draw, etc)...etc....so I'm hoping to get some good feedback here.

I'm 6' 185lbs, average strength I guess you could say, I can bench more than my bodyweight anyway ...

I appreciate your time to reply, thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Buckfu,

This is sort of a pretty general question. Maybe you could ask about a specific bow, or treestand, or outfit rather than just a general question. My personal favorites in regard to those three would be....

Bowtech or Diamond
Summit
Cabelas Revolution Fleece or Microtex.

In each case you get alot of good quality for the money.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:16 AM

Thanks PAB.

I didn't realize that there was a specific bowhunting gear forum here, so I have searched around in there, as well as reposted my question there....I have gotten some good feedback that I hope to put to use soon.

thanks again.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Don't get started bow hunting! It will change your life. Once you kill one with a bow it will become an addictionthat will be hard to quit. You will then have to spend allot of time in the woods. It is worse than smoking, you will not be able to quit and the doctor says there is no patch or pill to help youquit.

Seriously you will spend around $500 to get started butunless you are one of those people that have to buy the latest equipment each year, a good setup should last you many years. Many people will give you various opinions on which is the best bow or equipment but the best thing is to go to a good bow shop and try them out for what best fits you.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Far more important than the brand of bow, or types of accesories is.......
go to a decent bow shop and get fitted! You will never come close to doing your best shooting with a bow that is not fitted for you!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:56 AM
PLB

Buckfu,

As for a new bow, you absolutely must go to more than one pro shop (look for an archery specialty store). Tell them you are interested in starting a new lifestyle (bowhunting) and would like to get fitted for a bow. They will help you figure out your draw lenght and show you how to hold a bow.

Demand to shoot several bows from the 2 or 3 different bow shops you go to. As for brand or model it doesn't matter, all bow companies are making good bows these days. What is important is that the more bows you shoot (brands, models, etc.) you will start to favor 1 or 2. That particular bow will just feel better to you, and that is the bow you should buy (your budget permitting). It is important to go to more than one bow shop because one shop will not carry all the makes out there.

PS what state are you in? If your in AZ, I can recommend some good proshops.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 AM

thanks everyone for the continued feedback.. TimberCreek, I guess it's a disease I'm willing to risk PLB I'm in Wisconsin, but hunt in Upper Michigan.