Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow Hunting gear >

Bow Hunting gear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Hunting gear

Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Bow Hunting gear

This is getting a little crazy. It's my first year bowhunting, and I really need to consolidate my gear. How do you guys get into your stand? Here's my set-up:

On my back I wear my climbing stand. It really doesn't seem to pack easily. I may take the straps off my rucksack and toss them on there to see if it helps.

In front, I wear my backpack (backwards). It has my water, spare clothes, scents, gloves, and other things I need throughout the day. I have a sling on my bow, over my neck, with the bow resting on my pack.

Unfortunately, I can't leave my stand in the woods overnight. Perhaps if I could find a safe place to hide it I could, but I never know when I'll have time to hunt, so I often have to go to a closer place than normal.

I don't imagine they make a backpack that would carry something as large as a stand, nor can I find a pack that would comfortably attach to the stand. Any suggestions? What do you more experienced bowhunters do?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bow Hunting gear

I have climber and have fiddled with the stand enough after it was packed up to find a way to get my pack into it and out of it easily so I can carry it in inside the stand and then pull it out at the base of the tree to put it on me to go up the tree. took some time and some trial and error, but eventually found a better way to pack the stand so this would work out.
Don't be afraid to try different ways of packing the stand other than what the manuf. tells you. The way I pack my stand I also found to be more quite as well - bonus!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM

I'll give those a try. The manual never said how to attach it for packing, and the pieces don't really seem to fit well together. Maybe I'll try to work something out tonight. I'll try taking my rucksack off the frame and attaching that. It may work. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one frustrated by gear. I guess it's something you figure out as you go.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

My setup for packin' in with my climber: lil bag that hangs on my climber as bottle of scent, limb saw, and tether rope. "Fanny" pack worn in front has binos, call, hand warmers, 2 lights, GPS, H2O, snacks, scents, knife, gloves, etc., Everything else; coat, ASAT 3D suit, coat, deer sleigher, & extra rope goes onto stand with bungies.

Check your gear, IMHO, most of us bring way too much stuff into woods for a 4 hour hunt.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only take whats needed for the hunt, since i have my own land to hunt i dont need to lug all that extra weight and garbage in, a couple calls, my bow and quiver, and away I go.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Bartender

You really need a Lone Wolf stand. hmm come to think of it so do I.
ORIGINAL: Martlet

This is getting a little crazy. It's my first year bowhunting, and I really need to consolidate my gear. How do you guys get into your stand? Here's my set-up:

On my back I wear my climbing stand. It really doesn't seem to pack easily. I may take the straps off my rucksack and toss them on there to see if it helps.

In front, I wear my backpack (backwards). It has my water, spare clothes, scents, gloves, and other things I need throughout the day. I have a sling on my bow, over my neck, with the bow resting on my pack.

Unfortunately, I can't leave my stand in the woods overnight. Perhaps if I could find a safe place to hide it I could, but I never know when I'll have time to hunt, so I often have to go to a closer place than normal.

I don't imagine they make a backpack that would carry something as large as a stand, nor can I find a pack that would comfortably attach to the stand. Any suggestions? What do you more experienced bowhunters do?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another reason I love my treesaddle. Carrying a climber sucks. It's loud, heavy, and bulky.

With the treesaddle, I wear the saddle into the woods like you would a regular safety harness. I carry everything else I need to hunt in a medium sized fanny pack (strap on steps, tow rope, screw in bow holder, knife, calls, etc). The total weight is probably 8 pounds max and I have nothing bulky to carry.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 AM

I've packed in just like you...climber on back with backpack on front backwards. Then I said screw this and culled a few pounds of gear that I really didn't need.

Now I just use a fanny pack along with my climber on my back.