Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Default GPS

Im looking into getting a GPS for use of fishing and hunting. Theres alot of options of GPS's. Im looking at a price range of $200-250.
The Maggelan 300 eXplorist looks and seems like a nice one.
What kind of stuff do I look for in a GPS?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS

They basically all do the same thing. You mentioned hunting and fishing so I would look for one that’s waterproof and not just water resistant. My GPS also has the map. I find this very helpful when traveling. Also look at the size of the screen. Mine is a little bigger then normal and find that convenient. Good luck..
Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 PM

I'd look at something from Garmin, they support their products unlike some others.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Make a checklist of things such as how often you will use it, exactly what features you need, etc. I just got back from an elk hunting trip in Colorado and my needs were met by the basic Garmin Etrex. All I wanted was something to mark waypoints and to get me back to camp. It did everything I wanted and although I knew nothing about the country, I never once was in fear of getting lost. Without it I might have got lost several times.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 AM

I have used Garmin products in Korea, Iraq, Kuwait, and from Washington to Colorado, They work great and are easy to use. that is all I can say
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Spike

the marines just bought a few thousand units {garmin map 60s}from where my daughter works and they loaded iraqinto them so there pre setup for the boysangirls in green ---- if its good enough for them theys good enough for me!!!!
i personaly use the summit model--its what i need
Old 09-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a Garmin. If you're going to buy one, you might as well go with the best. Plus their support is much much better, and they stand behind their products.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Magellan Sportrack Map that I am very happy with. I prefer the GPS units that utilize some sort of base map with enough memory to upload more details for specific areas.