HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 'scentlock' ???
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 AM
kevin1
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 'scentlock' ???

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

Correct me if I'm wrong, NBC suits are only used for a couple of days and then thrown away after they are opened from the plastic bag. Maybe your MOPPsuit is different. All I know is that I bought one of those cheap suits in a magazine a few years ago and it didn't work nearly as good as the scent-lok. I once was like you but after seeing what this stuff can do in the field, I changed my mind. I would never go bowhunting without it ever again. Some say it dosen't work, others say it's not scientificlly possiable, but somehow deer don't wind me when they are down wind and I'm on the ground. Is it by chance that you kill 3-4 deer a year from the ground. I doubt it.
NBC and MOPP suits are the same thing , Lou-lou .
In combat areas where NBC use is possible they wear them about the same way I do , the suits are rated for 2 weeks of continuous use but must then be discarded . This is it's expected lifespan based on it's use with NBC agents , the known properties of activated carbon , and rigorous scientific testing and evaluation . If the carbon could be "regenerated" without destroying the garment I'm fairly sure that the Army would be doing so , even they like to save money sometimes.

An NBC/MOPP suit contains more carbon than ScentLok , the carbon isn't bonded and therefore losing half of it's surface area like ScentLok, costs less than 1/10th what ScentLok does , and you can still get busted regardless . You cannot eliminate all scent . I've had deer approach within feet of me in the woods while wearing a MOPP suit , and they had no idea that I was there . But I also had attractor scent out , and cover scent on me . I've had the very same experience wearing ordinary camo with cover scent , with the deer approaching from downwind in both instances . I'm not saying that carbon doesn't work , just that it isn't worth hundreds of dollars to try for yourself . When the carbon suits first came out I'll admit that I bought into the marketing hype too , but once I did some digging I found facts that changed my mind .

There are plenty of threads about it here with links to the real facts about carbon adsorbtion , look for youeself and draw your own conclusions . Or , if you really want to see what your suit and scent reduction routine can really do just try hiding from your dog .Try not to be too disappointed whenyou can't .