Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Burris Black Diamond opinions? >

Burris Black Diamond opinions?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Burris Black Diamond opinions?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Burris Black Diamond opinions?

Howdy everybody. I'm brand new to the forums and sure do like the info here. I am putting together my new elk rifle and am shopping for a scope. My family has had great experience with both Leupold and Burris optics.

I am leaning toward a Burris Black Diamond 4x16 50mm scope for my new Tikka. Anyone here have any opinions? It seems to be a great scope for the money. I'll let everyone know what I think too, if I end up getting it. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Burris Black Diamond opinions?

I use a Black Diamond. Can't complain about the optics. For the price, they're a reasonable buy.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

no question get the leeuupoldd i would make sure you want a 50mm objective on a scope. its quite large and goofy looking for my taste. i have one now and although i enjoy it a 40mm would have been a better choice for me.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

no question get the leeuupoldd i would make sure you want a 50mm objective on a scope. its quite large and goofy looking for my taste. i have one now and although i enjoy it a 40mm would have been a better choice for me.
Oh boy. Now you really have me thinking. What about a Zeiss Conquest 3-10 44mm or something like that? They sure are clear. The only concern I have with the Burris is the length and the weight. Considering dollars to dollars, you think the Black Diamond holds up to a Zeiss Conquest or they're about even?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM

K9 I honestly like the Black Diamonds (ESPECIALLY the new Titanium models) and would just as soon have one of them as I had a Leupold. Personally I wouldn't put either the Leupy or the Burris up against a Conquest, because neither of them will compare with sheer out brilliance. IMHO the ONLY scope (similarly priced) too the Conquest that rivals them for brightness is the Nikon Monarch.

Either way you go you will have a FIRST RATE quality scope that will last a lifetime.
RA
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Well, after reviewing all the info here I could find, and listening to some good advice, I went and scoped out some more... um, scopes. :-)

Impressions:

Burris Black Diamond is a fine piece and a very nice scope to look through, but it is a bit heavy and seemed huge.
Leupold VX-III in various configs... mighty nice. Would be an easy pick.
Nikon Monarchs... looked very very good through the lens and less $$. I actually thought these were a little better glass to my eye.
Then, after all the good comments in these forums, I checked my wallet and picked up a Zeiss Conquest 3.5 x 10 x 44mm... Oh boy! Sweet optics and I love that Z-Plex reticle.

Verdict?With the VX-III very hard to pass up, and a virtual tie, I pulled the trigger and a stainless Conquest will be on my Tikka in about a week. I'm convinced I'll be a happy hunter with it. Thanks a millionfor all the info, guys.

I'll be lurking around here in the future and will post if I think I can be helpful. May God bless your hunts with success and peace!